Anybody recognize this old 1970s-era UTC clock?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KJ6ZOL, Nov 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple weeks ago I drove 50 miles one way to a rural area just south of Grass Valley, Calif., to pursue a CL ad for an estate sale that claimed to have lots of vintage ham radio stuff. I get there and it is 38 F outside. Turns out the guy was mainly a CB geek-a couple old 23 channel CB rigs, a half dozen small power supplies, and of course magnetic antennas. He had plastic bins full of weird WW2-era electronics parts that were poorly labeled so I had no idea of what the specs were, maybe he'd gotten them at auction somewhere. I did see this item, all I noticed at the time was "frequency counter" on the front and two SO jacks on the back, so I paid him $5. When I finally got home and could feel my hands/feet/nose again, I realized what I had was a 1970s era UTC clock.

pride1.JPG

The only ID on it is "Pride Electronics" and "TF-1000 Time/Frequency Counter".

pride2.JPG
    The back. I have no idea why a clock would need "RF INPUT/OUTPUT" unless it was intended to sync to WWV somehow. I also have no idea what that watt switch is for.

pride3.JPG
    Closer look at the logo. I have no idea why it has a red LED in the middle.

The LED display looks similar to the one Heathkit used for their UTC clocks in the mid to late 70s, so I'm guessing this is from that era. 1970s LED UTC clocks seem pretty hard to come by, most were apparently run into the ground. Last time I checked Ebay the prices were jaw dropping. Does anybody know anything about this puppy? I figure that Google would probably be pointless with such an odd item, so I decided to just go ahead and ask y'all on QRZ first.

2. WO1X

WO1X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, as my daughter would say....... I got nothin.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CBers are attracted to such hi-tech baubles.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

DK7OB likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

CBers were very much interested in logging their QSOs in UTC. Such clocks were important for that purpose :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a combination clock and an actual frequency counter. When in-line with the transceiver and antenna, the actual transmitted frequency will be displayed.

N2EY, DK7OB and KA0HCP like this.
  7. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

That schematic is dated September 1976. I figured it was around that time frame. The manual is from CB Tricks which is a big repository of scans of docs from the golden era of CB in the 70s, so I'm guessing that this clock was primarily sold to the CB crowd. Considering how much of the CB milieu in those days was "ham wannabes", I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some CBers were using local time in 24 hour format or even UTC, simply for the "air cred" factor. :p The guy also had a Swan 270, which mystified me at the time because the rest of his stuff was CB. Now that I think about it the 270 was probably modified for illegal 11m use, extremely common back then.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It isn't a UTC clock. It simply has the choice of conventional or 24 hour format.

I don't recall having seen this item before. It would have been a high dollar item with the frequency counter feature.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not by model number, no. But ANY clock capable of being used for 24 hour time can be a "UTC Clock"

Now, it's not a METRIC MILITARY UTC time clock (100 minutes to the hour - pretty rare) - but most certainly can display plain old UTC if so set :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, Pride made all sorts of CB goo-gahs and gadgets - and apparently some amps as well.