Anybody obtain their Radiotelegraph Operator License Lately?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have thought that this tread would be filled with we need a code test people lining up to show how great they are by sitting a code test. I guess they are not all that interested in code tests after all.

Kudos if you go thought with it and pass.

W3WN likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What speed do they test at? I didn't see it in the link

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my expired T2 in my filing cabinet here; sat for the exam in Seattle in 1983. Cool test. The Ed Noll study guide for same included a question or three about interzone CW. Wonder how many folks know what that was without looking it up? (My dad and some of his coworkers held T2s -- well, their boss in the 40s through early 60s, Ero Erickson, W9HPJ (later KA9DYS) held a T1 -- to be able to work interzone CW on the job.)

K4AGO, KB2FCV and KK5JY like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

See https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...l-radio-operator-license-program/examinations. 16 code groups per minute and 20 words per minute. (Yep, "cipher groups" and plain text.) Think a code group is five characters. The speed for "cipher" is slower because one really cannot "copy behind" (at least very far) as is possible with plain text.

Long ago and far away you could get credit for the Amateur Extra 20-WPM code element if you held a valid T1 or T2.

Oh, and how's this for "no pressure": When I took my test, for the sending/receiving portion the FCC examiner hovered over me with a stopwatch.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed my code tests before the FCC years ago. Why would I need to take them again?

Now if I’m ever on the Left Coast, and now that I know that they’re available, I may just take them up on a commercial telegraph ticket, just to have one.

7. AE8I

AE8I QRZ Lifetime Member #32 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Those licensed as Extras prior to April 15, 2000 (when the 20 WPM requirement was eliminated) will be given credit for the code portion of the exam for a Radiotelegraph Operator License.

KK5JY likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow! That's cool stuff! If that's true, I want to look into this just for the fun of it - I wonder what the written portion is all about... ? Need to dig into it...

Dave
    W7UUU

[20-WPM Extra June 1997]

K4AGO likes this.
  9. AE8I

AE8I QRZ Lifetime Member #32 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's true - I took advantage of it in 1995. An acquaintance of mine did the same, two months ago. You'll just need to worry about the written elements.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...l-radio-operator-license-program/commercial-0

KK5JY likes this.
  10. W7UUU

Thanks - I've seen that link earlier in the thread but it's pretty bare bones - any insight into finer details of what the written portion consists of? Unless I'm missing it there's not a lot there.

Not to worry - I will do some searching of course. But just in case you might know off hand....

Dave
    W7UUU