Anybody obtain their Radiotelegraph Operator License Lately?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Given that it's been quite a while since AR licenses required telegraphy testing, the FCC commercial Radiotelegraph Operator License (T) might be a fun challenge for those who like challenges.

Has anybody been able to find a place to sit for the telegraphy elements lately? I haven't found a COLEM who even offers the elements, much less has them available within a reasonable driving distance from my location. I found a number of locations for GROL and GMDSS testing, but not for the telegraphy tests.

Feel free to share your experiences. :)

K4AGO likes this.
  2. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

my copy speed just went up.

"Code speeds are computed using five letters per word or code group. Punctuation symbols and numbers count as two letters each."

KB2FCV and KK5JY like this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

It has been a while since anybody got a job as a commercial radiotelegraph operator, so it's not surprising that the demand for the exam is low.

The Maritime Radio Historical Society still offers the exam, though. They offer it to maintain a corps of qualified licensed volunteer operators for their KPH station, which still operates on commercial frequencies under commercial rules.

Pass the exam and you too will qualify for a lucrative career as a telegrapher the next time a station is hiring.

I have not taken the exam, but I've visited the station several times, practically in my back yard. There are a lot of good people there, maintaining and using some very nice equipment.

www.radiomarine.org

KK5JY likes this.
  4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tried to take any of the telegraph licenses several years ago, couldn't find anyone to give the code part of the test. Also was in MARS and tried for it through the Navy. Same problem, no one to give the test.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m shocked

6. K6TOP

K6TOP Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed the Radiotelegraph Operator License exam back in 2016, administered by MRHS. I now enjoy the lucrative career that AG6QR mentions as an operator at coast station KPH :)

If your travels happen take you to San Francisco, you can take the test at the MRHS maintained KPH TX site in Bolinas.

And after passing, travel to the KPH RX site at Point Reyes with your certificate of completion in hand. There you can exercise your newly-granted commercial privileges by "sitting the circuit" at Position 1. Keying up seven 2.5 - 5 KW transmitters simultaneously to send out the Traffic List or the Pacific weather call-up on 6 HF frequencies, plus 500kc is quite a thrill.

The Radiotelegraph Operator License also enables me to volunteer as Radio Operator aboard the SS Jeremiah O'Brien - the San Francisco-based Liberty ship. In fact, I will be aboard the SS JOB for tomorrow's May 18 Veteran's cruise around SF bay. As RO, I send radiotelegrams from visitors and crewmembers using the ship's original WW2 radio gear on the commercial frequencies 426 Kc and 500 Kc (note use of period correct units!). These messages are received by crack KPH Morse operators who then deliver to the recipients using an old-style radiotelegram form - via email. Great fun!

/Kevin

NL7W, WA4KCN, KA0REN and 3 others like this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does 1978 qualify as "lately"?

K7MH likes this.
  8. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think “Lately” has to be in the current century.

I could be wrong though......

KK5JY likes this.
  9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like it would be a neat license to have, but finding a place to use it or even take the test would be a challenge. I guess it would be bragging rights at this point.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, and that was my only goal. :)

WB5THT and KB2FCV like this.