Anybody Interested in Upcoming IC-9700

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by W5SAT, Mar 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

"...magnitude of the Problem" I am an early adopter of the IC-9700 and have been using it quite a bit lately and haven't found anything that doesn't work to spec. There is really nothing even close to being comparable - 144 to 1296 MHz bands, SDR, touchscreen, bandscope, etc...

I think the frequency drift is way overblown. For the 1296 MHz EME crowd that demands 0 HZ drift there is a simple hardware mod. The built-in 10 MHz synchronization is pretty solid for 95% of the people. I am good with a couple Hz drift at 432 MHz.

I would like to see Icom make 9600 baud data workable - that's my only real disappointment - I hope it can be accomplished via firmware update..

2. KP4AJ

KP4AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Brad:

Thank you for your feedback. My concern is driven by reports regarding Digital Modes and Weak Signals. 99% of the time I work on FT8 and probably on FT4 when released. Check link below:
    http://www.ok2kkw.com/next/review_of_the_ic9700.pdf

Thats whats is holding me from buying. Although have to wait (to have the funds) as I purchased a Kenwood 590SG recently. Will continue monitoring progress regarding the drift issue, or if new 9700 builds fix it. Also, will be monitoring official communication from ICOM.

73'

Edfel
    KP4AJ

3. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Edfel, there have definitely been improvements made in the IC-9700 firmware since that report came out. I keep up on the IC-9700 group here: https://groups.io/g/ic-9700/
    Anyway, there is currently fairly easy methods to 100 percent lock it to 0 Hz drift with easy hardware mod or to get within a couple Hz drift with no mods. Hopefully Icom will improve on the existing "couple Hz drift" in firmware.