Anybody Interested in Upcoming IC-9700

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by W5SAT, Mar 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA2LXB

WA2LXB Ham Member QRZ Page

OOPS...there is a 10MHz input port on the 9700...at least that's what the brochure says. It's directly underneath the LAN port.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/9700/default.aspx

Click on product brochure, scroll down to the back panel description.

BTW...I picked up this GPS disciplined oscillator and I've used it to calibrate my frequency counter. It will work equally well for the 9700 10MHz reference.

2. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well darn, just stopped by HRO Burbank to listen to a 9700 and it wasn’t hooked up. Looks just like a 9300 with the power off. I could have stayed in Washington and just looked at my 9300.

3. WA7F

Hey, there certainly is. So there is still a stability issue with the 10 MHz reference?

4. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The current and new 1.11 firmware allows for continuous sync with an external GPS disciplined oscillator .On 1.2 Ghz, there was enough drift to make FT8 difficult to impossible. The drift is still however well within Icom's published Spec. It is just that FT8 requires greater stabilitly than the spec. Users on the GroupsIO 9700 group who have installed the firmware and are using a Bodnar 10Mhz reference source or similar have reported the issue solved for FT8 on 1.2Ghz with the new firmware. The outgoing IC-9100 has the same issue BTW. I was able to run FT8 on 70cm and 2m with the old firmware and no reference on my IC9700. The original 9700 firmware only allowed for calibration with a 10Mhz external source. The new 1.11 firmware allows for ongoing sync with the reference source.

WA4SCA and WA2LXB like this.
  5. WA7F

Good info. Thanks.

6. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. G0UKP

G0UKP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All, Trouble with D-star, I found out why I was getting problems setting up D-Star, all it took was for me to delete my call sign and reprogram it into the Radio that's all it took.

8. G0UKP

G0UKP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would just like to say after all the hype and reading it the best thing since sliced bread that is the ICOM 9700 which it is, now it's proposed that they might take away the 144-146 and the 23cms Bands from us,
    so what good will it be then, this will disrupt the Radio industry and a lot of radio hams around the world, Although we have been told its only a proposal, but at a recent meeting the German was the only Country who voted against it. so now we have to wait until the next meeting in October 2019.
    Will it be back to 27 Mhz I wonder. If you have not heard about this it was put out by the RSGB in the UK. ANYONE WANT TO BUY A BRAND NEW ICOM 9700 :)

9. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info.I do wonder if it’s time to hit the panic button or don’t worry because final ”passage” is unlikely.An additional thought....maybe time to factor in the “five and dime” frequencies on all new AMSAT-NA sats.Will hold off buying IC-9700 until this issue is settled

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  10. KP4AJ

KP4AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All:

Given the magnitude of the problem, I will rather prefer a 'hardware' fix for those units being build for sale in the future. Besides that, any other comparable rig?

Thanks and 73'

Edfel
    KP4AJ