Anybody Interested in Upcoming IC-9700

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by W5SAT, Mar 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year Icom showed a prototype of their hopefully-to-be-released IC-9700 SDR 2m/70cm/23cm transceiver.

I'll be honest, I have been drooling over that since I heard about it. Not a lot of details but supposedly dual receive and satellite ready. Hopefully with all 3 bands as standard.

I have an IC-7300 which I think is a very nice radio and am looking forward to the VHF/UHF cousin soon.

So, has anybody else been eyeballing this rig?

KN4LGM, VU3JNM, K4BAD and 3 others like this.
  2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course. My bet is still on 23cm being an option. It'll be a delightful surprise if it's included!

W4POT and WD9EWK like this.
  3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been keeping up with the Internet chatter about it, since its appearance at the Tokyo Ham Fair last summer. Looks nice, really nice. If it makes it to market, and if I have the personal wealth, I would consider getting it. Especially if it does for VHF/UHF what the IC-7300 has done for HF (used one last year for Field Day).

73!

W5PFG likes this.
  4. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I really haven't seen much Internet chatter about it other than this is what it looks like and this is what we think the features might be. Has anything new come out about it in the last few months?

5. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

That has been the standard way of doing things since forever, so I expect it to be an option. Basically, a direct upgrade from the IC-910h.

6. W5PFG

It will be interesting to see if it uses the same UX-910/9100 add-on. I installed one in my IC-9100 last year. Not difficult. Pretty plug-and-play, but it is large. If the IC-9700 will be similar size (or same chassis) as the IC-7300, then I suspect the 23cm PA will have a redesign to miniaturize it.

WD9EWK likes this.
  7. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 1.2 GHZ band is standard. The last word from Icom is 2019 release. No actual pricing until the radio is released for sale .

8. W5PFG

I hope you're correct on 23cm being standard equipment. The rear photos of the demo unit almost look like that would be true.

I'm also hoping D-STAR is included, which should be easier now with licensing issues behind us.

9. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

At this point almost everything is speculation - I don't think any of us can say for certain about anything on this radio at this point. Supposedly same size as 7300. Maybe has 1.2 standard. Maybe D-Star. Cost - who knows???

I will likely buy one since I am a base station operator. I like my TS-2000 but I would sell it to upgrade to something more modern.

Here is an ad from ham Shop in the Netherlands: https://www.hamshop.nl/icom-ic-9700.html
    upload_2018-3-20_7-38-23.png

Compare that with the one from DX Engineering: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/rsv-ic-9700

upload_2018-3-20_7-39-19.png

10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10000 Euros??!??