Anybody have problems with KM4UiP? I think I've been scammed!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KB2NYC, Jan 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KB2NYC

KB2NYC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to the forum,
    Here's my story:
    Saw a post on here for a UHF Duplexer and sent an email to the member Justin Alvarez KM4UiP in Tennessee. After a few days he contacted me and stated that it was still available.
    I made an offer on it for $300, which he accepted. I asked for his Paypal info to which he replied and gave me Justinalvarez@gmail.com which was slightly different from the email address he was contacting me from which was Justinalvarez264@gmail.com so I asked him if he was sure of the address which he gave me and he said yes.
    I made the payment using buyers protection to that account and sent an email back to Justin that I had done so. He returns the email stating he hasn't received the payment. I asked him to call me and supplied my phone number to which he did call me and I asked what his Paypal account is and he then states the other email address with the 264 in it. I tell him you've got to be kidding me!
    I figure I can call Paypal and get this worked out, so I tell him I'll take care of this and send the payment to the correct account and deal with Paypal because I used buyers protection, right? Wrong! Had to start a resolution case for the first $300, which I did and then sent an additional $300 to the now specified account of Justin's.
    He calls me back and tells me he got the payment but he can't ship to me because the money is on hold in his account until I receive the duplexer via the tracking number and he cant afford the shipping. So that's $600 so far if you're keeping track.
    He then asks me if I could call Paypal and get them to release the hold so that he can use the money to ship the item to me, to which I said I would inquire. Paypal told me that due to suspicious activity that yes there is a hold on his account and the only thing I could do was to ask him to refund me a portion of the $300 that he would need to ship the item and send it back to him using the "Family and friends" option.
    Yes you heard right Paypal told me to use the unsecured method to send money to an unknown person!
    So here's where I get stupid, I call Justin back and ask him how much he would need to ship the duplexer to me and he replies that its probably around $60 or so. I figure at this point I've spoken to this guy, he seems normal for the most part and maybe he's truly strapped for cash and cant afford to ship the duplexer so I tell him go ahead and refund me $60 and I'll send it back to him using "Family and friends" so that he can ship to me and then claim the released money on hold, already in his account, BAD MOVE on my part.
    He agrees and then I get a notification from Paypal telling me I have a refund from Justin Alvarez for $100. That's not the $60 we agreed upon but I wanted to believe that this guy was just a cash strapped, good ole boy from Tennessee so I sent hi the $100 back using friends and family, We're up to $700 now for those of you counting because the refund is also on hold to me and I have to pay from my bank the additional $100 now.
    Well guess what, that's the last I heard from old Justin Boy out there in the good ole state of TN, he got $100 outa me, tied up $700 in Paypal limbo, I was on the phone with Paypal for a total of 7 hours so far I started 3 resolution/fraud claims and put a stoppage on my bank account which made it very difficult for me to get my bills paid and this whole mess should take a couple weeks to clear up.

We Need Vetting on this forum in order to protect us from all this cyber scamming going on.
    Mods take note! Justin Alvarez still has posts in the for sale forum and the duplexer which he's been paid for is still listed as well as others.
    Respectfully,
    Gary Schachter KB2NYC

2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

-------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>caveat emptor<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----------------

Look at his ads. He would not post pictures initally.

Report him to google.

Google the number he called from. It might not be in TN.

K3XR and KB2NYC like this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"We Need Vetting on this forum in order to protect us from all this cyber scamming going on."
    No, we don't. We have to be responsible for our own actions and use good judgement. Sorry.

W0ML, KS4W, KJ4VTH and 4 others like this.
  4. KB2NYC

It's unsafe to buy or sell here, the inmates are running the prison.

WD0FIA and KA2FIR like this.
  5. KB2NYC

And I'm going back to Ebay!

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

We need vetting? Are you kidding me? On every corner there is some creep looking to seperate you from your money. It's up to you to keep your money and prevent the thefts....

No website, newspaper or magazine offering items For Sale can control your deal for you. Only you.....

QRZ already gives you the tools at the top of each section to help you prevent being ripped off..... Read the fookin advice!!!!

I blame you...... and the creeper, but mostly you......

W0ML, K2HAT and KA2FIR like this.
  7. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

They live there too! In higher numbers.

KG5THG likes this.
  8. KB2NYC

Opinions are like assholes everybody's got one...
    Since when is it ok to blame the victim? I listened to Paypal, who shouldn't have advised me to pay someone I don't know using an unsecured method. The guys been on here selling and hasn't been caught or reported by anyone for some time. In hindsight there was a gut feeling which I ignored at some point but when the smoke clears from this lesson the most I'll be out is that $100, a small price to pay for a valuable lesson.
    AND... I've been on Ebay and made thousands of transactions with nary a problem. Ebay has protections in place to keep your transactions safe.

N4AAB and KC0BIN like this.
  9. NY8T

NY8T Ham Member QRZ Page

very rare to have issues at HRO/DXE etc ;)

N5PZJ, WD0FIA, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  10. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong! You did it to yourself. And please watch your manners and your language.

KA2FIR likes this.