ad: MultusSDR-1

Anybody have an actual QSO yet?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by K3RW, Feb 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

ADN:

SSB is a phone mode! As are AM, FM, PM, DSB, and ACSB. Now, it is possible, with an SSB transmitter and a sound card, applying a continuous tone or tones, etc., to produce a pseudo CW, RTTY, and all sorts of data signals. However, when the reference is to SSB, that implies a "phone" signal.

Glen, K9STH

2. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I expected, should I also assume LSB for phone? Time is short before Field Day, if we get the rest of the hardware together quick enough (Transverters), the kids and I are gonna give it a try. We'll be using an IC-7300, and the PC is already loaded with several digital programs - but! I'd really like to make some phone contacts! ( the FT8 / FT9 stuff is fine, but if band conditions allow, we want phone contacts)

KJ4ADN - Bill

3. K9STH

ADN:

The convention, except for the 60-meter band which is, by law, CW, data, and USB, below 14.0 MHz LSB.

There are exceptions for certain "nets" with people using military surplus equipment which is, generally, USB only. Of course, again with the exception of the 60-meter band, it is perfectly legal to run USB or LSB but most people adhere to the convention.

Glen, K9STH

4. KJ4ADN

Thank you, Glen - can we get beyond the unrelated legal stuff, and back on 630 /2200 meter operation? Those are the two bands which are "new" to us, I'm asking these questions to save time when the Transverters show up next week. I apologize for the confusion, we're "good" on the other HAM bands.... can I offer you a wall chart? (look me up here, on QRZ.com)

I'm condensing what I've read over a couple of months - not knowing if I'm on the right track, (things can change), please comment!

Rob mentioned he had several contacts via digital modes, should I assume WSJT-X ver 1.9...? I don't recall any settings below 160m though..? Which would mean either the radio Ic-7300 / IC-7610 / K3 would still work it's magic, on 160m (transverter does the rest of the conversion to 630m), and computer software does the decoding, right? Same would apply for 2200m operation for FT9....? Does FT8 even work on those low frequencies, since the data rate would be so s-l-o-w, or, is that why FT9 is used/preferred? If I use WSJT-X, would the data rate need to be reduced or throttled in software (by a factor of 4, from the 160m data rate)?

As far as operation PHONE, again, my assumption is this is LSB, but.... given the lower frequency, what is a "reasonable" filter width?
    Looking at the total allowed bandwidth (7kHz on 630 & 1/3rd of that on 2200), this sounds more like an old "party line telephone" - one conversation at-a-time...? Does voice compression help or hurt? I'm just scratching my head over PHONE operation ... it sounds rather difficult given the bandwidth and power level.

And... the antenna(s). What I've read, sounds like this is more than "verticals are preferred" - but, "verticals are necessary for TX, if you want to be heard" - and the use of arrays *could* put you over the radiation power limit. I'll give the 160m dipole the first shot at it, keeping in mind a top loaded vertical, taller is better, with radials... long radials..., right?

Thanks!
    KJ4ADN - Bill

5. K9STH

I would think that no more than 2.4 kHz wide, and even better, 2.1 kHz wide, LSB signal would be best. The Collins S-Line and KWM-2- series, as well as the Heath SB-Line equipment, use 2.1 kHz bandwidth and those who use such equipment often get favorable comments on how good the audio quality actually is.

The problem with compression, and other types of audio "improvements", is that well over 90% of amateur radio operators do NOT know how to properly adjust the circuit. This goes for a lot of experienced amateur radio operators as well as newcomers.

The reason for vertically polarized antennas is that it is a practical impossibility for like 99.999% of the amateur radio population to get a horizontally polarized antenna high enough in height above ground level for that antenna to be much more than a worm warmer! Also, true ground-wave propagation is common on those lowest frequency bands and vertical polarization is necessary for this propagation.

It takes at least a half-wavelength above ground level for a horizontally polarized antenna to start working very well. With a wavelength of 630-meters, a half-wave will be 315-meters. Rounded off, that means an antenna almost 1035-feet above ground! It is MUCH easier to get a loaded vertical in operation versus a horizontal antenna.

Glen, K9STH

6. KJ4ADN

Glen,
    What are you using for 630 and/or 2200 meters currently?

KJ4ADN - Bill

7. K9STH

No transmitter for either band right now. For receiving, I have several including a TS-440SAT, BC-453, BC-348, Rycom, and a receiving converter. The Rycom goes from, basically, DC to just above 200 kHz, the converter from DC to well above 500 kHz, the BC-453 from 190 kHz to above 500 kHz, and the BC-348 lowest frequency range from 200 kHz to 500 kHz.

Glen, K9STH

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well he did say local for the SSB contact. It doesn't take much to get across the block.

9. KJ4ADN

RFI can do that! Rattle the bolts on the stove.

Yeah, sort of stole the thread - sorry.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard my first positively ID'd amateur signal on 630M tonight starting at 02:30 and still loud and clear. .Signal is hitting S6, with a background noise of S 5.5, so that I have to use my narowest filter to hear real signals with.

Hearing "WA4SZE/BEACON" and the word Beacon spelled out and not just /B.
    On 475.170 kHz, there is a second signal in mirror image slightly lower in freq that I first tuned to and it made no sense :D
    Yes I think it is a freq shift signal like very Slow RTTY but in Morse !
    From the QRZ info this station is just over 500 miles from me !

Glad David in TN is running a CW beacon, but there is no info at all on his QRZ page !
    Does anyone reading this have any info Re. Power, antenna config etc?