Any`windows 10 users. mail setup and ham use

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N9CAV, Jul 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got my newest Win7 computer, they gave me a choice of M$ Word subscription edition with an annual renewal fee, or a one-time licence that's supposed to work for all eternity, that cost about $100 IIRC. They heavily promoted the subscription version as the default, but I opted to pay up front for the permanent licence.

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

There are free online versions of MS Office apps that you can get to from Outlook.com. I guess they're "light", limited feature versions of the paid online versions but they're more than enough for lots of home use. They look like the real thing to me. I just can't be bothered with the hassle of most locally installed apps these days when these and the equivalent Google apps are free so you can use the money to buy ice cream instead. They run in any modern browser so they work fine on Linux.

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 7.01.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.59.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 7.00.01 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad to hear there are others who have had zero issues with Win10.

I was beginning to think I did something wrong......:)

The only thing I didn't like was the necessity to reinstall all your programs when changing over from Win7. But after I did, everything worked fine, infinitely faster, including Office 365 and just about all of my programs.

Jim, WQ2H

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For Windows? No. I wouldn't doubt they may roll out a hand-holding customer support service, though...and for some it might be a Good Thing. You can buy support on Office, and they have other plans regarding Office as well.

If I didn't need Office for my professional work, I'd be very happy with something similar on Linux (or Windows). I liked Google Docs and the rest of their "office" apps when they rolled them out.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Diskless computers are back on the rise.

Smart terminals.

NK2U likes this.
  6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Office 365 for $99 a year is a deal folks. You get all the Office apps, online or installed locally on up to 5 computers. PLUS you get up to 5 1TB Onedrives (cloud storage) which make decent backup targets and gets your data into the hands of the evil empire but outta your house. Free upgrades, online support.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What happens if the internet goes down or gets hacked by Russia ?

Are you on cloud 9 ?

NK2U likes this.
  9. KB9BVN

Apps and data are on my local computer...data is backed up to my One Drive.

10. KB9BVN

Microsoft says in a few more years the only way to get their OS will be SaaS - Software as a Service that you will subscribe to...by the month or the year.

Will it fly? Wait and see.