Any`windows 10 users. mail setup and ham use

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N9CAV, Jul 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

You should try Elementary OS -- https://elementary.io/ -- very stable, free app store (pay what you want, now so basically still free), beautiful UI that resembles Mac OSX and a bit like Windows. I have been using it since version 0.2 (coming up on .5 now, I believe.) Try it as a live ISO and I think you'd like it. There are lots of apps that are cross platform. Steam installs great and more than half my library from Windows works on it!

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Such as?

I run Linux everyday, and the only app I run regularly that doesn't work under Linux is EZNEC+. That one gets run in a VM.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I need office, not a set of program "like office" or "as good as office," etc.

Emulator? I'd say I'd just rather run Windows, then. Which is what I did. ;)

4. KK5JY

No, a VM. That's real Windows, running inside the Linux host.
    So you needed Outlook mail, then. :)

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was one of the things I needed. Really liked Outlook, too. But then the university where I teach switched to a Gmail system and I just started using the web email interface most of the time. Worked fine. :)

6. KK5JY

That's the one thing that Linux has not yet been able to conquer, and for some people, it's a big feature. There have been a few attempts to fill it in, but then M$ changes the protocols, and... :oops:

7. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, me too. Got rid of office, they have their hand in your pocket. I also use Libre office, great product.

de NK2U

8. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard on the radio that Microsoft intends to start charging a yearly fee. At first, for companies only and then... consumers!

de NK2U

9. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Libre Office will read and write office docs no problem. You might want to look at it.

de NK2U

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the new computers that come with Win 10 will not you run Win 7. :mad: