Any use for a phone patch...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K1OIK likes this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Au Contrare Mes Amis!

While they aren't used very often, phone patches do indeed still have some usefulness, and can be used with new VOIP systems. During the hurricane in the Bahamas I had the opportunity to patch through several messages (using my Kenwood PC-1A ) from folks in the impacted areas to their worried family members here in the US. It's a good thing I have unlimited minutes on my phone plan!

Of course they were probably the first calls patched through in recent memory, but it was good to be able to help in a small way. I'll be keeping mine hooked-up and functional for the foreseeable future, just in case.

W5TTP likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might need to fill it up with rocks to add some weight.

4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep it around. May prove useful one day, if you still have copper TelCo lines around your area.

K0MB likes this.
  5. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

FINALLY! An intelligent answer!!

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I will disagree with Dave. I am willing to bet there is at least one .08 HY choke, either toroid, or pot core, in the thing. These can be used to make a very simple and effective low pass audio filter for SSB or CW. Because they are LC filters, they don't introduce any distortion into the audio and make for very pleasant listening.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Lacking a schematic for the Nye Viking, I am only saying that all of the phone patches I've worked with, none have had 88mH "Telephone toroids"

ENTIRELY possible the Nye does but I just don't have a schematic to view. Haven't been able to find one.

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I did say really small :D

9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

oddly, they work fine with VoIP systems. Most of them employ a device called an ATA, that allows you to use legacy phones. The phone patch plugs right in..... just like back when copper lines were the norm.

10. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

These, especially the Heathkits, are like gold to the hambo hamfest sellers. Put a 50 buck price tag on one, call it some fancy technical bame, and watch the unwashed flock to spend their wife's money on this technical innovation.