Any use for a phone patch...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I now the proud owner of a nye viking phone patch. Besides gutting it for a project box. Is there any viable use for these?
    thanks

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite a few years ago I used one for tape recording elderly relatives “stories” for a family history project.

Other than that, I can’t think of any other use for one.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think if you lay it down horizontally it's about 2" high.

So if you need to prop up the front of a small rig by 2", you can lay the phone patch down and use it to raise the small rig. Also, if you have a table with one leg that's 2" too short...:)

WD0BCT and W4IOA like this.
  4. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I dunno... can it be adapted to easily record both side of a QSO? Can't creatively come up with another use for one. Sometimes, you just have to say... "it's done" and retire that piece of electronics.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When the zombie apocalypse takes out the cell phones, it will be handy.

K0MB likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Computer audio interface is about all I can think of.

Dave
    W7UUU

NB3R, N8VIL and K0IDT like this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If it has a pair of 88 mhy torroids inside, they can be used to make a dandy LC audio filter.

8. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you heated it up to 1430 degrees, you could then use it to heat something that needed 1430 degrees of heat.

KE0EYJ, K0IDT and W7UUU like this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't think any commercial patches used 88mh "telephone toroids" - just a 600-Ohm (phone side) to 50,000 Ohm (Mic level) transformer. But very often, they were very high quality transformers. Heathkit I believe used Jensen transformers.

That's why old phone patches would make a decent audio patch box from LoZ to HiZ

Or better still, just rob the transformer to use for that purpose, and use the box for something else

Dave
    W7UUU

W4NNF likes this.
  10. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Would make a nice fishing weight or really small boat anchor.