Any use for a Kam Plus these days???

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AE5HL, Jul 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AE5HL

AE5HL Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably more out of nostalgia than anything (I had one some years ago and loved it), I picked up a used Kantronics Kam Plus at a fairly reasonable price with manuals, etc. Checking PSK Reporter I note the majority of activity is JT65/PSK31 based. Is there any use for this modem save for APRS or Winlink these days???

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    KB0MNM and AE5HL like this.
  3. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course that is up to you, but I sold my KAM+ shortly after the turn of the century (or would that be the turn of the millennium?) when PSK31 came out. Before that, I made tons of contacts on AMTOR, PACTOR and even G-TOR back in the day. Personally,those modes have no value to me any more.

As far as RTTY, there are plenty of programs that will do AFSK using your PC's sound card or the sound card in your radio (if so equipped). As far as FSK RTTY, with the MMTTY program, it is possible to use this mode with a very simple interface with no other outboard hardware necessary. As far as CW, there are also several free programs that will send and receive CW also using a very simple interface and no other outboard hardware.

But what made those HF modes really sing was the addition of an outboard Timewave DSP 59+ filter. After acquiring a rig with IF DSP, there was no longer a need for that either.

For the VHF side of the KAM+, it may still have some value to you, but I gave up packet ages ago.

But anyway, you own it... for now!

4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the answer depends on what you want to use it for. Just to give you some background, you may wish to check out the following links:
    http://wb0tra.no-ip.org/mn_pkt.php ( Note when last updated ) and www.14567.org
    That said, you may or may not have been in touch with N5LB regarding a recent advertisement on the for sale section. Since the links point you to places far north of your state, you may need to consider attending a hamfest or two for a better answer. Some folks used to used similar TNCs for satellite work, a favorite was the MFJ-built with tuning indicator or capability to add same. I think that W9GB said it best: "Still a useful solution...". I personally hold on to a pair of PK-96 'style' TNCs with hopes that I will not really need to rush them into service. 73

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems maritime operations do not share your views as it is still quite viable there is enhanced modes for Marine Fax and other data. Pactor is still arguably one of the most robust protocol for radio ever made. It is only because Pactor 2,3 and 4 is patented, and its hardware is VERY expensive because of it, that it has not seen wide usage in Ham radio. One day patents will run out and that could change. Still Pactor is a very reliable mode but it has all but died off because no new modems and some digital mode adapters like Signal Link cannot support Pactor. My Rig Blaster PnP does and I have still worked Pactor when I can find it.

W6FCC likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Was hoping to stir up some activity on 2 mtr packet so recently hooked up the Kam and tried a couple of different frequencies looking for other stations but not much luck will hold on to it in the event things change but what I won't hold is my breath.

K3RW likes this.
  7. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck with this. When I lived in Montana in 90's in pre internet days I used 2m packet a lot for traffic.

W6FCC likes this.
  8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

You took a direct quote from my previous post but obviously did not read it.... at all! I said that those modes have no value to ME... personally! I did not say that those modes don't have any value to anyone but somehow your heavily medicated or damaged brain put those words in my post! I have made over 5000 posts since I have been a member here and I have NEVER, NOT EVER, NOT ONCE, EVER made any mention of owning a marine vessel so why on god's green earth (or blue ocean) would I give a rodent's posterior about what "maritime operations" think about my opinion of the TOR modes?

If your secondary hobby to amateur radio is pissing me off, good news! Its working!

K5PHW likes this.
  9. AE5HL

AE5HL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to thank everybody for the input, I've found a fellow who would like to go "old school" with his Kam and we'll be trying a few things out... Although dated (how is 20 years old dated, anyways?) I loved the Kam! For what it is worth, I operate sound card quite a bit, matter of fact, started with PSK31 in 2002 when I was first licensed, so I'm not necessarily unfamiliar with the sound card modes...

Garry AE5HL

10. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

You do that all to yourself with narrow views and short fuse.

W6FCC and N4DSM like this.