Any truck driver hams out there?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KG6TOP, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Loren, the original holder of AI0M, used to run between Omaha and Cheyenne for PIE and worked 20 meter CW every trip from a daycab Kenworth single screw pulling doubles. As a company driver his radio box sat on the doghouse held down with bungie cords. Antenna was a Hustler mounted with Visegrips. We used to chat on 146.52 simplex in western Nebraska.
    Steve, W0GSQ

2. N7UAV

N7UAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up my buddy Dave N7AM (AM stands for Allways Mobile) here in Arizona. He is on the road 5,6 or 7 days a week & has about everything in his truck/semi :)

N7UAV-Aaron

3. VE3NLP

VE3NLP Ham Member QRZ Page

You can always come by 14.300 7AM EST to 9PM EST. Two nets, with new controller each hour...They are Traffic/emergency type nets but take general check ins and signal reports, also the NC will rag-chew for a minute or two if it's quiet to give others a signal to tune to. I check in, and listen along for a couple reason. 1) bands are still not great on 20M. 2) good place to test and check your equipment.
    There is a web page that gives you info on all three nets that use the Freq. http://www.14300.net

The Pacific sea farer's net comes on 14.300 after but they are not too friendly to any one not in the pacific. I tried to check in and relay a Marine station to they one night and got told I was not the type of station that they wanted, because I was in ON. I simply said ok I understand and signed with the NC. I listened for another couple hours and the station I was going to relay never did talk to an NC or get relayed in.

4. VE3NLP

VE3NLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok for my list of toys I run a Kenwood TS-480HX. No tuner into a Hustler system using an MO-4(22' mast) a tri-mount plate holding 40 and 20 Meter Super Resonators, and a 6meter Resonator. I use a 3/8 X 24 to SO-239 adapter to hook it to a standard SO-239 Mount. This help keeps the water and salt out, but I also use dielectric grease in all the fittings. I will be switching to a screwdriver this summer.

On the VHF/UHF side I run a Kenwood D710, and keep one side on 146.520 a lot of the time.

5. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, regarding the Tarheel II, the two things you have to remember is mounting it as close to the cab as possible (On the mirror mount) as it has a tough time finding ground plane if not. The other is to keep your ground strap as short as possible. This means that mounting it on the lower bar seemed to work MUCH better for me. I would steer clear of the door itself, I found a decent ground on the door jam itself. One bonus thing for ya. Run the longer optional whip. It was like night and day across ALL bands. I also found that tilting the entire antenna forward helped finding good ground and SWR also. On a side note, the best installation I ever saw performance wise, was a guy that had used a pizza pie sheet as a ground plane. Never did get a chance yet to try it out. Just beware, they can be touchy. It seems that I would have it working great for a month and it would just stop working all together until I reconfigured the whole system. They will make you want to pull your hair out some days. Sometimes I honestly thought going back to multiple hamsticks was a better option. HIHI But when it works, it works great. Good Luck.

6. K7SWS

K7SWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've found that grounding seems to be the biggest bugaboo of a radio in a semi.....I have 1/2 braid running from the antenna to the ground buss , braid from the radio & tuner to the buss.....I just have a TS-50 and a hustler 20m stick, nothing fancy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.