Any tips for small PC board mounting?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KB1KIX, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That might be more expensive than replacing the project itself. I prefer to rely on the rule of "use and re-use" (and "re-re-use.") My version of experimentation. YMMV.:D

2. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanx!

Took a nap after my midnight bench cleaning (things are coming along).

The picture is of the particular keyer I was talking about.

I was also thinking in general.

I usually use the steel standoffs (plus, they make the project look nice and clean).

The nylon standoffs I've seen aren't slotted. I need to find some of them, that sounds like a fantastic idea. Would be nice if they did something similar with steel, could come in handy.

I've used the sticky tape with the same keyer (I have a few of these and N0XAS keyers). The tape, did come off after time. I think heat was generated when I take a qrp rig outdoors and heat in the metal tin.

I'm definitely going to look for the nylon standoffs, I think I'm going to mount this puppy with my SP-1.......

Thanx again (now I have to also get some more hot glue),

Jonathan

3. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I was pondering this and came up with the following...

1. I can Dremel a "notch" in some brass standoffs with a cutting wheel and install a board that way (amongst many of the answers here)

2. RJ's had simplicity, but didn't hold on it's own very well when I plugged in the key when I tested (but was "almost" there).

Then, I realized, that for some dumbass reason, the rubber bumpers I use on many of my small projects come in sets of 9. The odd one is kinda useless. Kinda like buying hotdogs by the dozen, and rolls coming in packs of 10, but I digress.

The spare bumper gave it a little wedge and it seems to be holding OK.

I'll add a little hot glue when I get more glue sticks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The QRP rig on the top is the ever so simple SP-1 (built last year at Dayton, just got around to actually mounting it on something instead of carrying it around when I show it at a club demo).

All I need to do now is wire the rest of it in it's new home and I'm done (well, and put the rock back on that I forgot to install when I took the pictures).

If anyone is wondering, those are just cheapie picture frames that I used to install the boards.

Thanx again for all the tips!

Jonathan

4. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

find someone who is a diabetic.
    My wife was. Have them keep a bunch of the orange needle covers.
    Stiff plastic,, cut the end off and you have a nice standoff that a 6/32 screw fits in .

I have cheese boxes full of them. also the caps on the plunger end work
    as fatter insulators for 1/4-20 screws.

usually some where to drill a small hole in the board.
    the other ideas here are good too. work with what you got.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be my choice too. It's also very shockproof. And waterproof if you want it to be. I have lots of tiny boards encapsulated by glue. Makes it a bit hard to repair at times...but that's surprisingly rare.

eric

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Every ham should be required by law to have a Dremel. There are so many cool new attachments for the things now. I seem to buy a new bit or something about once a week.

eric

7. M0DSZ

M0DSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seconded, and you can still prise the PCD off if you need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.