ad: Stlouis-1

Any tips for small PC board mounting?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KB1KIX, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, it's 03:30 in the morning, I'm on vacation, and I get out of bed to clean up my bench...... man, something is wrong with me.

Thinking about a few projects on the bench.......

Anyway, as I'm cleaning here (and listening to soldersmoke) I came across a project I'd like to use in some of my QRP rigs - a Hendricks keyer. Neat little board, built and ready to go.

However, the thing is so tiny, no holes and such for standoffs.

Any good ideas on how to mount it clean in a case/project?

My bench is a mess, but I try to make my projects look clean as I do a bunch of buildathons throughout the year and many people see some of the projects before they build one (don't wanna scare them off with some ugly construction now..... ).

Come to think of it, even ugly construction has a beauty all it's own....

Anyway, thanx in advance for any tips,

Jonathan

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hot glue gun?

3. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is small but going to be mounted in an enclosure along with other boards you may could make a few stiff wire standoff's soldered to the board ground. I have done a few that way.

4. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be so afraid of making a commitment.
    1-hour epoxy.

:cool:

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right.... something is wrong with you! Go back to bed! :D

Steve
    KV6O

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes it difficult to reuse a project later. There are horizontally slotted nylon standoffs that will slip on the board edge withour drilling holes. Otherwise, you can usually use nylon (think insulated!) screws and nuts to mount the board by it's edge.

Some people (including some manufacturers) use foam tape (such as for mounting pictures or posters) although that may deteriorate over time.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this the kit you have?

[​IMG]

I have mounted little boards like this by cleaning the ground plane circuit board, then mounting it vertically and soldering it directly to another circuit board, or a solderable metal cover or shield.

Simply scratch clean below the word "mute" and "paddle" and solder tin these spots. Place it perpendicular to a metal or open circuit board area, then tack solder the spots. Repeat the process on the opposite side of the board. You now have several "solder bridges" holding the small board in place.

Joe

8. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Double-sticky tape

Look for the double-sided sticky tape with the foam core . . .

I've used it for years mounting Com-Spec CTCSS boards in radios.

Gary WA7KKP

9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks to me like this was designed to be panel mounted, by the 3.5mm jack.

10. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use enough 1-hour epoxy to completely cover the item, you'll forget it's there after a while, and you won't have to worry about how to reuse it later.

:cool::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.