Any SX-28 experts? Gearbox query...

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W1BR, Dec 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are the two different versions of the gearbox interchangeable? The pulley drive version from my SX-28 restoration is beyond hope. I do have a SX-28 gear box with gear drive for both the main and BS tuning that I'd like to try using.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I recommend you PURCHASE advertising space on this website instead of surreptitiously injecting advertising into existing posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2019
    W7UUU likes this.
  3. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like a post was deleted...

Anyhow, pix of the gear trains?
    There are a few sites online with complete SX-28 rebuilds shown, might reveal
    the mechanical similarity or differences.

I have a 28A here, but the 28 I had has left for someone else's shack. So, I can't
    just look at it. :(

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

yes you are correct - a spam web link post to backup cameras for trucks and RVs by a non-registered user.

Dave
    W7UUU

WB2GCR likes this.
  5. W1BR

I've seen the various websites, but none answer some questions I have about replacing a gear box that uses
    a dial pulley and cord for the band-spread tuning with a fully gear driven version. I do have some questions
    about how the dial cords for the band indicators are connected to the band-switch shift. I may have to
    take out the other SX-28, but I hate having two of the beasts running around naked in the shop. My back
    is getting on in years.

6. W1BR

I wanted to note that this SX-28 has the newer coil set and originally had the pulley drive gearbox.
    The main tuning shaft was damaged and missing (it is designed to break if the knob stresses the
    shaft) and it also is part of a slip clutch system (the tuning shaft slides into a hollow shaft that
    drives the gears) that uses the flywheel and I assume friction washers? Also, I found there
    were missing bearings and other issues. I was able to find a gear box that uses gear drives
    for both BS and the main tuning... the issue is I am not sure what is missing, and what parts
    are needed. I suspect the friction drive is missing on this part as well.

The new gear box does not have the sliding band indicators, I have to move
    them from the old gear box. Again, I am not sure how compatible or interchangeable these
    items are. I may end up looking for a local junker SX-28... I see parts on eBay, but shipping
    and asking prices, and their apparent bad condition, makes that venue expensive and
    very dicey.