Any site selection tips/tricks for a stranger?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by W3MMM, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I'm thinking WalMarts might be the best. I hate the concept but I don't want any trouble.

Plus, I have to find a copy of my license and have it with me. Thanks for the heads up

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

I've operated portable in a few state parks in MD and PA. They do seem to be kept up better than parks in my home state. I've had some curious looks and some folks walk up and ask questions; no trouble at all.

3. W0OOG

W0OOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just operated two weekends at the OK City Fairgrounds. It was great. What I did wrong was not going to the head office to get permission. Security came bye and asked what I was doing, and cleared it with the head office. The antenna I put up was a twin-lead folded dipole in inverted vee configuration.

4. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

About 40 years ago I made up a full size 80 meter dipole for portable operation using stranded #20 insulated hook-up wire for the antenna and 50 feet of mini-coax like RG-174U, (available at www.thewireman.com.) I didn't find an insert for the PL-259 to fit the little coax, so I soldered the coax into the connector and filled in around it with RTV rubber. I keep the whole thing wound on one of those H-shaped reels for extension cords, along with some nylon "parachute cord" at each end for support lines. You don't need end insulators, only a little one at the feed point which I made out of a piece of Plexiglass. I have used that on countless campouts, Field Days and fishing trips in British Columbia. And yes, the little mini-coax does handle a 100 watt rig just fine, although I wouldn't go any higher. It's a great thing to keep in your RV, cut for your favorite band.

Hal, K7RQ

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always had a blast operating from rest stops all over California...as did many other hams. We sometimes had semi-impromptu field days. Often got to demonstrate ham radio to truckers too.
    Just be alert to see if you're feeling "appreciated" at these sort of venues.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Stay out of the woods around Burkittsville.

7. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

Preferably salt water less than a half wavelength away from driven element with water in direction you want to work most. Half wave verticals play really well with a reflector.
    http://www.qrz.com/db/KH6MB
    http://www.k2kw.com/k5k/dxcomp.htm
    You get near double out a half wave away from salt water.

Wanting 3 counties check the map for best quick moves and setup.
    http://www.maryland.gov/pages/maps.aspx

Plan your longest move for lowest activity.

I've still got the scar on my thumb from a blue crab that didn't like being plucked out of my chicken wire crab trap. Double jointed rascal.

24hr boat launching sites might be good.

8. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch out for Hurricane Fred.

9. W3MMM

Yes! This is the answer for my particular situation...and I should have thought of this. As you have crab scars, I know you have some familiarity with what I'm talking about. There are plenty of ramps on the eastern shore - and with NO elevation anywhere (literally - the highest point in most of those counties is 70 feet above sea level) - setting up near the water would have been much better.

The MD QSO party was a few weekends ago and I just pulled off the road in a few spots. It went OK for an hour until Murphy ended the day. It could have been better.

For next year, I'll visit boat ramps. I'll check first to ensure this will be OK.

Above you say "wanting 3 counties" - I think you mean that my intent was to work from 3 counties...but did you mean that YOU were in need of 3 counties? Or something else.

This is a great plan specific to what I'm looking to do in the MD QSO party and I'm looking forward to next year. Thanks.

10. W3MMM

That movie certainly spun up people who saw it - but it REALLY spun up the locals. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.