Any Sailers on the forum? Or fans of sailboat racing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by KC7JNJ, Sep 18, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Though I no longer have a boat, I have always enjoyed it.

The Mini Transat starts on the 26th and I will keeping an eye in the race. Anyone else a fan of the Mini Transat?
    https://www.minitransat.fr/en/

KG4RRH and PU2OZT like this.
  2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link, one tough race isn't? do skippers need to listen to radio to keep their eyes open?

Oliver

KG4RRH likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Capt Mike, RRH, invented the race.

W5BIB likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Alas, I'm a bit landlocked at the moment, but I've always entertained sailing a Viking ship up the Yukon river. Not many of them there.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We had one of these when I was a kid in the San Francisco Bay area.
    http://www.folkboat.com/

6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a Sailor, Here's a picture of my boat.

[​IMG]

KT4PH, N1ZZZ, WB2PKR and 4 others like this.
  7. KC7JNJ

very tough over 4000 nautical miles single-handed in the Indy cars of the ocean. They dont get a computer and a SSB marine HF or satphones and no radar. The device they do have will give then one receive HF transmission a day giving them weather data for the next 48 hours and their plot in the race. They can text The race organizers over that same piece of equipment. But if they get any help from anybody from any source they are out of the race. so they have to do their own weather predictions and make their own tactics based on those predictions. These little boats are fast....

KG4RRH and PU2OZT like this.
  8. KC7JNJ

Dont know Capt Mike who is he? and @KL7AJ those folks boats are pretty.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing like a run off the coast for the day with just you and 5,000 of your closest friends! :)

CV-66, '91-93

KC7JNJ likes this.
  10. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not really but someone I know started one. I have kind of taken an interest in a grand prix started by Larry Ellison called the SailGP. Along the lines of F1 or the America's Cup racing, everyone uses the same design/constructed hydrofoil cat (called an F50) fitted with a set of winged sails....which team wins is completely up to the pilot (aka flight controller) and crew. In the spirit of racing, they don't use a computer like we do to set the airfoil shape, they use crew. It's interesting to watch them run the whole race moving faster than the wind through the entire course.

KC7JNJ likes this.