Any repeaters near VAN HORN, TEXAS (CULBERSON COUNTY)?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AK5B, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to be hiking/rockhounding out in the mountains around Van Horn, Texas in a couple of days; does anyone know of a repeater (2M/440) that has coverage in that area? It's a pretty desolate part of West Texas with lots of rattlesnakes so I would feel better if I had a repeater that I could hit if the need arose.

Meanwhile, I'll carry plenty of water and be aware of my surroundings while I'm out in the boonies...

73, Jeff, NH7RO

2. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Texas VHF FM Society(the coordinating body) search page:
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    <tbody>[TR="class: a0"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]147.3200[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]MARATHON[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]CULBERSON[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]N5SOR[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]12-11-2012 03:09:38[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]88.5l[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: a1"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #C6D8FA"]444.0500[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #C6D8FA"]PINE SPRINGS[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #C6D8FA"]CULBERSON[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #C6D8FA"]N5SOR[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #C6D8FA"]01-04-2013 15:02:12[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #C6D8FA"][/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #C6D8FA"]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: a0"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]444.9500[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]VanHorn[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]Culberson[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]N5SOR[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]12-10-2012 12:58:38[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #A6B8FA"]162.2l[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]
    Last time I was out that way I was able to hit all of them.

3. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

From Repeaterbook.

When you get there, update the listings so folks following after you will know.

Repeaterbook has Android and IOS apps.

4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, guys; I'm a bit perplexed by that Marathon listing as Marathon, TX is in Brewster County to the southeast about 150 miles or so; perhaps there's another Marathon that doesn't show up on most maps. Anyway I will try them and the Van Horn repeater looks the most promising (Pine Springs is 59 miles north of Van Horn and I'll be on my HT).

Will update things once I get back next weekend.

73, Jeff, NH7RO

5. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I rarely stay very long in the Van Horn area but I can tell you that the Big Bend ARC repeaters and the Fort Davis area repeaters are alive and well.

http://www.bigbendarc.com/REPEATERS/Repeater_Index.html

We mostly depend on amateur satellite communications to stay in touch with friends when we visit that area.

6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

The 444.95 Van Horn repeater was the only one I actually used as it worked fine the first time I tried it out. Fortunately I never needed to call for help as I got loads of hiking in with no snake bites/sightings or mishaps to report. I came across two unfenced open mine shafts and wondered how long I would last if I fell down one. Yikes.

Beautiful country out there and I timed it right weather-wise; it was in the low sixties to high seventies with about 8% humidity most of the time I was there.

For anyone travelling to/through Van Horn I can now recommend the Value Inn for a cheap but decent place to stay. The El Capitan's dining room, Rodney's Café and Papa's Pantry are all great places to eat, too. Chuy's has good Mexican food but I would say that it is over-rated; the atmosphere is terrible, the service is just OK and the place is not too clean (it stinks like a lot of old greasy restaurants do).

Thanks again for the repeater listings and I'll keep them in mind should I ever be in that area again.

73, Jeff

Last edited: May 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.