Any RCA 806 tubes to be had?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Jun 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. RRRINVA

RRRINVA QRZ Member

I don’t know if you are still looking but I recently found an 806 tube in a large lot I purchased.

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I talked with Pete WA1SOV just the other night. He said his 806s were made by General Electric. He now uses a pair of 833As in his modulator because one of the 806s went soft.

3. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great! Please let me know as I am still chasing them down.

73DG

4. K4KYV

Next time I talk to Pete, I'll ask him if he wants to get rid of the good one, since his other one has crapped out. The problem would be getting it all the way from CT without being destroyed in transit.

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That tube must be as hard or harder to find than a HF300. I wonder how many 750THs there are out there. I think I've seen 450s; never seen 75THs. The old tube manuals show the 806 was a hell of a tube. Seems strange so few can be found now but maybe no commercial rigs were made with them and no ham rigs. Same goes for the Federal tubes.

Maybe 806 rigs were converted over to something else and owners tossed out their supplies of 806s or they got gas. Anyone recall seeing 806s in the hamfest "boat anchor blowout" days?

My only "rare" tube is a T155. It has enough vacuum for the filament to light up okay but a violet ray test shows a lot of gas inside so I'd be kind of nervous about putting more than a few hundred v. on the plate.

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eimac shut down the 806 by RCA in a patent infringement lawsuit over the 250TH/TL.

Amazing seeing how RCA was the tube juggernaut in the day.

I suspect any GE 806's were RCA rebrands.

I've a couple-three good 806's, and would like to build something to them, but not without enough spares to run it a while.

73DG

8. K4KYV

Interesting. What goes around comes around. RCA tried to maintain a monopoly on tube production both transmitting and receiving, and Sarnoff was ruthless in his attempts to suppress competition. Heinz & Kaufmann came out in the mid 30s with "Gammatrons", a series of high power "gridless" transmitting tubes that modulated the electron stream by electrostatically deflecting the beam away from the plate, apparently somewhat in the manner of the 7360, to circumvent the RCA patent. Ads for these appear in mid 1930s Frank C Jones Radio handbooks, but they apparently never made it beyond the prototype stage. Never saw any reports on how well they worked nor articles showing rigs built with them, but soon afterwards H&K began producing conventional triodes like the HK-354.

9. RRRINVA

RRRINVA QRZ Member

W7TFO - email me at ******* if you want to purchase the 806 tube. Thanks Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

To sell items on QRZ you must be a "ham member"

Please upgrade your account with your amateur radio call sign to be a ham member account. You can then offer items for sale

Dave
    W7UUU