Any RCA 806 tubes to be had?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Jun 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any reported sightings most appreciated.

They are a short-production pre-war triode, the victim of a suit brought by Eimac and the 250TH.

The one on eBay is already in my sights, but enough of them to plan a realistic project is my goal.

Thanks + 73

D

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I remember Pete, WA1SOV ran a pair in his modulator back in the 70s. Someone showed me a pair he brought to Dayton this year, forget who it was. They looked to be in good shape, but like similar Eimac and Heinz-Kauffmann tubes from the pre-war era, even NOS tubes are apt to be gassy from sitting on the shelf all these decades. He said he didn't really intend to sell them, but planned to try them out in a rig, and just brought them to show them off. They should be interchangeable with the 250TH, although they have a different size plate cap.

I'd like to hear more about that suit brought by Eimac against RCA. Usually it was the other way round, as RCA tried to claim a monopoly on tubes and tube circuitry of any kind, and equipment could be manufactured and sold only under licence from RCA. Look at the decal pasted to the back of any broadcast radio made by any manufacturer in the 1930s and 40s.

W2VW and AF6LJ like this.
  3. W7TFO

Eitel-McCullough has quite a history. This is a long read, but very revealing:

BTW, the 806's I have are hard, never seen a gassy one (unlike everything old from Lewis and Heintz-Kufman).

73DG

Attached Files:

W8KHK, W2VW and AF6LJ like this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never seen an 806 but I've read the data on them in tube manuals. They seem like a wonderful fire bottle and I hope you get some. The 1930s tubes are great aren't they? Nothing else looks quite as good.

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

In the whole 806 mess, RCA probably had the last laugh. David Sarnoff was made a brigadier general during WW2 and served as a communications consultant during WW2.

Before the war, there was a wide range of transmitting tubes by different manufacturers. During the war, almost all tube production was tubes on the "VT list"

http://www.audiotubes.com/VT crossreference.htm

many of which were RCA tubes. HK, Taylor and others were notable by their absence.

6. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Ask Gary Halverson K6GLH

7. W7TFO

Already did.

73DG

8. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I met them once in a business meeting. They developed (or were going to) a magnetron for the microwave oven
    industry. It used some sort of rare material. When we told them the needed quantities they said there was not
    enuff of the rare material in the world, so that brot the meeting to a screeching halt!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

AF6LJ likes this.
  9. K4KYV

I believe Eimac made the jillions 100THs and 250ths that went into the BC-610, and 304TLs that were used as radar pulse modulators, many of which were released as surplus after WWII.

N2EY likes this.
  10. K4KYV