Any possibility of a computer

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by SIMONKOHL, Nov 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. SIMONKOHL

SIMONKOHL QRZ Member

What happens to Windows computers after the upgrade,(From Windows 7 to Windows 10) Whether the files saved on the computer or previous Settings will change after the system upgrade?

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no significant issues with upgrading to Win10. Some settings may have changed but nothing significant. There was a Win10 upgrade advisor that you could run and it would review any issues that might occur as a result of the upgrade. But the upgrade didn't format the disc and do a clean install. It just found and replaced the necessary operating system files.
    Others mileage may vary.

3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes the result of a Windows 7 to 10 'upgrade' is not so easy. Starting at the 'creator' version of Windows 10, some network cards were affected because of a lack of drivers. In particular, there is a work-around involving downloading Windows 10 driver files for a network card found in older 'Holly'-motherboard equipped Hewlett-Packard desktop PCs which were initially equipped with Windows 7. Part of that work-around involves turning off 'Wake-on-LAN', the other part involves getting new driver files from a website in Taiwan. Since Taiwan is a few hops ( and maybe not good with a firewall on some enterprise systems ), your mileage could indeed vary. Unfortunately, to get details like those above, you need a PC which does work on the Internet and can access the knowledge base. Also, you may find that certain DOS-based applications might require a special fix often called 'DOSbox' or compatibility-mode. The best way to test the changes is on a PC equipped with the Windows 10 system and the latest upgrades, by transferring the data only and carefully copying only the applications needed. I prefer optical storage for this, yet you may need to check how the new PC is equipped. Even the ports have changed on newer machines ( for instance, you may no longer find a serial port with a de-9 connector- known wrongly as a DB-9 ). The USB port and memory-stick would be a good transfer method, yet if you need the serial port... oops... Your mileage may vary, all right.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A new member should be by soon with a link to the best answer. o_O

K8MHZ and AG6QR like this.
  5. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

6. SIMONKOHL

SIMONKOHL QRZ Member

Generally speaking ,there will be no problems with the computer upgrade system,but we'll never know Microsoft,that's what i did 3 days ago ,(Windows 7 to Windows 10) I upgraded it at night. I went to bed before I succeeded. When I got up the next day, I found that the screen was black, after opening the computer, an unknown account appeared, not the account i used before ,(It seems to have be deleted,and the login password is also not accepted),i contacted Microsoft and they asked me to show proof of the purchase of this computer, but this is a second hand computer, I don't have any proof.so far, my computer has been idle .

7. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If all goes well your files should still be there, but you will definitely need to go through all of the settings. Do a Google search on privacy settings for Win10 because there are far too many of them to deal with here.

How successful the upgrade will be is something of a crapshoot, to be honest. The couple of computers here that we did the upgrade on went well, but I've also heard some nasty horror stories as well. General advice is to do a full backup of your computer before you try the upgrade so you can restore the computer to its original condition if something goes wrong.

8. SIMONKOHL

SIMONKOHL QRZ Member

This is the first time I have encountered such a problem, and I did not expect it. I regret that I did not backup my computer before upgrading.
    And now i can not do anything on the Windows computer (Unable to log in, password invalid)
    I'm looking for a way to break it now .

9. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If your previous system was overwritten, and you have no backups; reinstall. There are no other options.

10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Download and install linuxmint on a usb stick. Then boot your computer from that (you may have to press a key combo on startup to boot from an alternate device like a usb stick, or change the boot device in the computer's bios setup screen). Once booted up, you can explore your hard drive and see if all your old files are still there. Linux mint has an option to install and save all your old windows files, so you could do that if you want. Linux mint is very easy to use and linux is a fantastic operating system.

Mark.