Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. 2E0RNB

2E0RNB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ride and Operate. In the summer i link the radio too the bikes battery and operate from a bench or anything i can bungey strap a fishing pole too. And this recent picture i now have a little tarp

Attached Files:

US7IGN, WD4IGX, N5ADV and 1 other person like this.
  2. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back to the OP's post. I have ridden for over 50 years, mostly solo and almost all LD riding. I've ridden in every state in North America and almost all the Canadian Provinces. On my last Wing and a couple of Kawi's before it I did have a 2 meter radios on them:
    upload_2017-12-24_21-13-56.jpeg

As I'm really into photography, I pack a lot of that gear which doesn't leave too much room, even on a Wing. Now I ride an FJR1300 and I hope to take a small hf cw rig with me next summer on a ride. At 71 now, those 1000+ mile days aren't quite as appealing anymore.

AL6T, K7WFM, KN4OK and 3 others like this.
  3. N8PSI

N8PSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I ride a Honda Silver Wing, mainly for my 40+ mile commute. It has more than enough room for my camping gear, radio gear, and food thanks to the under seat storage, top case, and saddle bags.

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. AL6T

AL6T Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting thread. I ride a Ural sidecar rig so there is no problem with carrying stuff or enough power as it has a 45 amp alternator. During the winter, I switch to an automotive group 24 battery for easier starting in cold weather. I've looked into mounting a 2m/70cm HT with a mobile antenna mounted to the sidecar but the question of "why" comes up. There is rarely any traffic on the local repeater. I'm looking for a better reason than "just because".

[​IMG]

K1TGX and K7WFM like this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I really have no desire to run in-motion-motorcycle mobile. VHF and UHF would be easy enough to do and safely, but like you I don't see a reason. And unless I'm talking with a riding buddy, which can be done fine at those ranges with the bluetooth helmet devices, I generally want to be alone with my thoughts when riding anyway. But motorcycling TO a portable location has some appeal.

So does just finding out what other interests I have in common with some other hams. :)

6. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yea, Honda SH300I, good bred and butter bike, running 140 km/h. That is not very fast on our German motorway (Autobahn), because we have no speed limit, but it is enough not to be an obstruction.
    When driving no radio activities because too dangerous.

7. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice hack! I found the 2 meter radio useful when on one of my long rides. I would usually ride from 5am to 2 pm or so. When I bagged it for the day I would get on the local repeater & ask about interesting things to shoot in the area (I'd also ask the B&B or motel I was staying in).
    Mayville, ND
    [​IMG]

Vegreville, Alberta
    upload_2018-1-24_19-12-4.png

Oklahoma City
    [​IMG]

Some places that are easily overlooked while riding 'thru'

N8PSI and WD4IGX like this.
  8. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

You don’t have a IRLP Wires-X or other internet linked repeaters?
    On my local IRLP repeater I often hear folks from AK checking in.

9. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice pics and glad you're able to take in lots of interesting sights in your travels. I can't wait for spring to come as I'm getting cabin fever and want to put some miles on. I will be running my V71a and hoping to pick up some interesting rag chews along the way. Stay safe!!!!