Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a newspaper article here this fall explaining that the motorcycle fatal accident rate has historically been owned by the 20-30 year age group. This year was the first time that the motorcycle accident rate was the highest among elderly riders. The article went on to say that the suspected reason was that there are greater numbers of elderly riders than in the past. Now I don't know if these older drivers are running 49cc scooters or not, but regardless...I think this is an interesting change in statistics.

As I said in an earlier post....I gave up riding this past year due to a sciatic nerve condition which is getting worse as I age. In over 50 years of cycling I was never down on a street bike. Only had two minor crashes on dirt bikes doing silly stuff. The absolute worst crash I suffered was a four wheel ATV rollover while scouting out a hunt area when I was 65. I kinda suspect that ATV rollover was the beginning of my sciatic nerve problem. Anyway...at 71 I don't do that stuff anymore.

2. K4YWZ

K4YWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the same issue that afflicts ham radio... younger generations choosing not to take up motorcycling. Speaking very broadly, of course.

We've become a risk averse society.

N5ADV and WD4IGX like this.
  3. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yea, I don't think Honda ever made a 2 stroke engine. It does not require lead either so don't have to add the lead to it when filling up.
    Could be no licenses is required here for under 50 CC here, been a loooooong time since I had to worry about that.

4. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1976 I drove my Mom crazy, I would drive my motorcycle to the airport to take flying lessons. She thought I had a death wish.
    Flew my Cessna until 2 years ago, didn't stop because of age or health but planning to retire and it just became to expensive plus I wanted to justify a FTdx5000 & AL1200.

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be...I never considered this possibility!

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The entire demographic of motorcyclists is changing. Young people seem mostly uninterested, and the ones that are interested at all are mostly interested in urban scoots - scooters and street bikes up to maybe 500c, mostly ridden on city streets which may be prone to more accidents but, I suspect, far less likely to be fatal ones. It's most us middle aged and up folks now who are a) interested, and b) have the cash to buy a bike, accessories etc. when it is, for almost everyone, a luxury item since we still need a car.

7. WD4IGX

Yup. Though ham radio isn't risky. It's just .. old school nerdy as opposed to new school (Internet and computers, and yes of course I know about digital modes) nerdy.

8. WD4IGX

I've done the same thing - rode my motorcycle to the airport for my instrument lesson. :) Fellow club member returning the plane to the hangar as I was about to take it out just quipped, "that's the life, right there, riding your motorcycle to the airport to fly." I just gave my voice my best attempt at a devil-may-care inflection and said, "yeah. Yeah, it is." :D

9. N0NSR

N0NSR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Burgman rider here also, and the wife has a Yamaha Majesty. Been trying to get her to get her license then put a 2M HT on both. I usually carry an HT with me as we're often outside of cellphone coverage when riding.

10. N6LSU

N6LSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Offroad rider here, can be found riding trails in the middle of nowhere 1-2 times a week. Gave up street riding in mid 2000s after putting 50K on a Honda Goldwing. Found that I'd lost the mental edge that one needs to ride street.

A few years ago while riding my dirtbike (KTM 300) at Stoneyford CA I came upon a rider down with a broken femur. No cell coverage, had to send a rider down to the ranger station 15 miles away. Since that day I'm never without an HT (or GPS) as I can get help coming within minutes from anywhere.

KN4EQG and N5ADV like this.