ad: M2Ant-1

Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4YWZ

K4YWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. Not at all conservative, Stephen... that 350-Four is as cult-classic as they come! I had a poster of it on the wall of my bedroom for a couple years in the early 70's.

Glad to see such an awesome bike still giving regular service!

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A definite Classic!
    A buddy of mine had one and traded it on a Yamaha 750cc Virago. He regretted that....a 4 cylinder 350 outperformed a twin cylinder 750! Yamaha quickly upsized the Virago to 920 and 1100cc. Virago's claim to fame was getting rid of the frame below the engine....it looked cool but must not have worked to good. The frameless Vee Twin disappeared.

3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a thing wrong with that bike. It looks nice. It reminds me of my best friend in high school. He got a CB 200 for his first bike and I got a Yamaha 250. Sorry but this is the way my brain works or doesn't work. It was one that you put in the oil and gas and then the bike mixed it. I forgot what those were called. A simple answer to a simple question but I can not for the life of my answer it right now.
    My memory is going like I have dementia or Alzheimer and it scares me to death. I don't want to die of either of those illnesses. ( Did anyone watch the last TV interview that David Cassidy ever did with Dr. Phil?? It is a scary way to go. His mom and grandpa both died of those illnesses. I want to just drop over dead, please)

I have a picture around here somewhere. We had fun on them.
    John, WB0MPB

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool bikes. Like the rig setups on a few. Never had a road bike but my friends all did. Had CanAm's back in the 70-80's, 1975, TNT175cc and later a 1979 370cc Qualifier. Man they went like the wind. Now I have a 250cc Yahama Trials bike.
    I dont think a rig would have survived very long.
    After coaxing my wife to come and video a trials practice, she saw me on the seesaw and has refused after to go any after that.
    I'm suprised there arent any modern era CanAms with rigs on here, although with 3 wheels they look more like someone modified a skidoo, lots of room for rigs, I've seen some with CB's and 8' whips.

CANAM8.JPG mr029.jpg vlcsnap-2017-12-03-14h15m28s493.png

K7WFM likes this.
  5. KN4EQG

KN4EQG Ham Member QRZ Page

I ride. A new ham, I'm taking my HT with me now.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the nice comments on the 350-four! I actually started riding when I was 12 with a lawnmower engine I put in my bicycle in 1960. I bought a Honda 50 when I was 14 (the original Honda with the skirt) back then you could ride a scooter without a license if it was under 50 CC and the Honda 50 was just over 49 CC. When I turned 16 I sold it and bought a Honda S-65, the exhaust pipe was angled up and my girlfriend still has a small scar on her leg where she burned it, I know because she is my wife of 49 years. Interesting fact on cycles, the Harley Davidson 125 & 165 (the ones you see in WWII movies and some Mash episodes, was the first commercial use (as far as I know) of a type of fiber optics. They used a piece of flat Plexiglas about 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick bent over the headlight going back over the speedometer to illuminate it at night. My brother had one and I would ride with him while sitting on the gas tank begging when I was 5!! Doesn't seem possible but as I look back I have never been without a motorized bike or motorcycle for over 55 years!

7. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Suzuki Burgman 400cc and bought the antenna mount and such to use my 3 band antenna on the back. But now that I've relocated to Texas, I have not had time to ride yet let alone mount that mount--still in its pouch in the seat waiting... Eventually. I have a bluetooth for the radio to hear it in the helmet. Keying up however still is not likely to happen while riding. But it's mostly for storm spotting work anyway. I can key up and talk when stopped however.
    I hope to do this again soon when I get my bike over here out of storage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 4:32 AM
  8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[EDITED - nope, that 350 four cylinder was a four stroke. Never mind my comment about two stroke vs four stroke on the 350 4 vs 750 V-twin.]

9. WD4IGX

"Two stroke"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_engine

10. WD4IGX

You still can ride an under 50cc scooter without a license here. That's why you occasionally see far middle aged men putting around on 49cc Vespas. 90%+ of the time they lost their DL to a DUI.