ad: PortRo-1

Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KG5KOG

KG5KOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't care for riding in groups. Two is company three is crowd.
    Nobody rides the same way. Some want to go balls to the wall and others want to stop and smell the roses (that's me).
    I like to stop and sight see, go exploring, take a few pics. Just see what there is there.

One other thing on solo, don't ride a bike you can't pickup by yourself. :)

I consider my setup as hands free.
    As the only part of my hand that moves is my thumb to key the xmitter and that is only about inch.
    Closer than horn button. So i don't have a problem doing that.
    Actually never have carried on conversation with it. Keyed a few times but no come back.

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KG5KOG

KG5KOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

US7IGN,

I like that there.
    Assume you have an another battery for the radio somewhere and not using the bike battery.

4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a motorcycle battery. But even ICOM IC-706mk2g is too big and heavy and a large consumption current for use with a motorcycle.
    Now I always take with me a homemade radio with a built-in tuner and a battery that weighs about 1 kg http://www.us7ign.com/?p=628 Antenna is the wires that I throw on the trees. Everything takes very little space and not disturb.
    Some photos from the ordinary trip http://www.us7ign.com/?p=717

KG5KOG and K7WFM like this.
  5. K3WR

K3WR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ride a Gold Wing GL-1800 with our Gold Wing Road Riders group out of Wachula, FL. We are the Peace River Riders. When in our group rides, we all use 11 meter radios for communication amongst the riders. Helps to ensure we are all aware of the location of the next ice cream shop down the road when riding on 90+ degree summer days in Florida.

When riding alone, I use a Kenwood handheld and headset for 2m/70 cm repeater and APRS use. Nice to be able to communicate while on the rides between the east and west coast and all points in between. The handheld is mounted on a Ram mount on the Gold Wing handlebars with the PTT switch velcroed near my left thumb on the bars. Easy operation when riding.

K7WFM likes this.
  6. ON3SU

ON3SU Ham Member QRZ Page

My BMW 1200 RT

klein.jpg

K7WFM and WD4IGX like this.
  7. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Also a Goldwing owner/rider, although I almost traded it in a few months ago toward the new travel trailer. On the morning of the day the trade/purchase was to happen, I took the bike for a quick check ride (and had emptied out all the storage compartments). In the five minute ride, I decided I really did not want to be without it... at least not yet. So the 2012 GL1800 remains here; I may sell it next year, depending on how much I will be riding (or not). It currently has less than 13,000 miles on it.

K7WFM likes this.
  8. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

The only way to ride. With brothers...who you know...who ride like you do...who can anticipate every move....
    Radio is optional....

WJ6F likes this.
  9. W5WTC

W5WTC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Yup, I ride, but not on the asphalt. too dangerous. Unfortunately the rules say no radio coms allowed with riders.

N5ADV, K7WFM, K5PHW and 1 other person like this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Dangerous" is in the eye of the beholder. I've nothing against people riding on dirt but I believe that to be FAR more dangerous than my riding on the road. Matter of perspective I guess.

W5WTC likes this.