Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG5IVL

KG5IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

The Bitx40 radio might work for you. I am building one now for a mobile setup in my van. Will also use it for hiking. Just google bitx40 for all kinds of info. $60.

2. KG5KOG

KG5KOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Could very well work for me..
    did you see this site about it ?
    https://vk3yy.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/bitx40-v3-and-raduino/

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well SOTA requires you make your final access to the summit via non-motorized means. As far as I know there's no prohibition on riding a motorcycle or car or whatever as far as the public road goes then making the final ascent on foot. I don't know how far (if there's a restriction) that ascent has to be in order for it to count. I know some places I could ride to then hike the final 1/2 - 1 mile or so, if that would qualify.

4. KG5KOG

Yes, I realize about the hiking.
    One of the main reasons I have not gone further into getting started is having to leave my bike maybe a mile or more away from the summit.
    Some of the ones I have read about SOTA, they did hike way more than a mile.

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm thinking of Roan Mountain back home in TN though I'm not sure it's on the SOTA list - should definitely be though. Parking lot at Carver's Gap, then you can climb up a bit of the Appalachian trail to Roan High Knob I think it's called. Done it quite a few times leaving my car down below, no different for the bike really, just never took a radio.

6. KG5KOG

Chimney Rock, Nevada.
    The second picture here shows about the closest you can get in a vehicle.
    Now that would be a hike to not only get there, but also to get up. About mile from the Angle Lake.

Grays Peak is to the right and west of a small lake you can drive/ride to.
    but then you have to walk around Angle Lake and then 1 mile by crow. Rough terrain.
    Only 10 points, ought to worth 100 or more.

110 in the desert, froze that night up at Angle Creek Park.

Other pics i have showing mountains/peaks, that i am sure would be listed on SOTA, are way off the beaten track,
    but you can take a bike pretty close to them. Would not recommend a 4x4.

I thought about starting at the Big Bend National Park as there is some SOTA listing in it.

This was June 2015.
    That evening....
    [​IMG]

The Next Morning...
    [​IMG]

K7WFM likes this.
  7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I do this all of the time.

http://www.ku3x.net/p

Scroll down past the Field Day event and you'll see a few photos of a few of my stops.

Most of the time I keep my little YouKits radio along with a very short 20 meter dipole in my saddle bags. I'll take a day trip and when I get tired or want a drink, I look for a spot to pull over, set up the gear, have a drink and then move on when I had enough.
    My two favorite hobbies are ham radio and motorcycles. The closest they come together is only for transportation. I would never ride my bike and talk on any radio or cell phone at the same time. That is asking for trouble! There are enough idiots on the road that I need to give my full attention to riding the bike.

Barry, KU3X

K7WFM, US7IGN, AE5X and 1 other person like this.
  8. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never ride my bike and talk on any radio or cell phone at the same time. That is asking for trouble! There are enough idiots on the road that I need to give my full attention to riding the bike.

Amen...enough idiots.... no doubt.

KU3X likes this.
  9. K4YWZ

K4YWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure! Been riding for many, many years. Sometimes with friends. Mostly alone. Current rides are a BMW R1200GSA and a Harley Road King.

I don't do radio - or music or cell phone or anything similar - while riding. But the beauty of a motorcycle is in where it can take you.

An HT goes in the tank bag. And for extended reach, a roll-up J-Pole takes no space in the tail trunk.

But given the remote places a motorcycle can take you, HF is really where it's at. For that I've got an Elecraft KX3. The radio, mic, headphones,
    LiFePo battery, Moleskin notebook (for logging) and various connectors all fit tidily in one of Rose Kopp's (N7HKW) padded cases, which then rides in one of my panniers. For antenna(s) I use an Alex Loop, a HyEndFed 40-meter end-fed, or a random length wire. For getting height with the latter two I use a Sotabeams 30' mast (which stores and rides well with my camping gear); for mounting the Alex Loop I use an adapter I crafted that attaches to the Arca-Swiss mount on my camera tripod (which, being an avid photographer, I always have with me).

Marrying motorcycling with ham radio is a lot of fun. It's always a treat to ride along during the day, contemplating what the propagation gods might serve up in the evening. And since motorcycling is so inevitably intertwined with weather... and so, in various ways, is radio... it's really a perfect match.

That said, a couple things to consider...

Having fun with radio works much better when you're by yourself (and I'm going to disagree with the sentiments above against going alone... you're actually at much greater risk of crashing when riding with a group than when riding by yourself. Of course, if you plan on crashing you're better off having some pals along to help with the aftermath). Your riding friends probably aren't going to find the same allure you do in stopping early so you can throw some wire up in a tree and operate your rig for a couple hours.

If you're in a campground or otherwise around people, you have to be sensitive to how your QSO's affect others. Even operating inside a tent, your voice may carry a surprising distance. You can mitigate half of that by using headphones. But if you're operating phone, inevitably your voice is going to rise as you try to correct your call with that faint DX contact a continent away.

The solution, of course, is to carry a key or a paddle and use CW. The best of all worlds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    K7WFM, US7IGN and KG5KOG like this.
  10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much room on my CBR600RR for gear... although I might be able to stuff alittle gear in my tank bag... I guess I need to investigate activating the beach somewhere.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

K7WFM likes this.