ad: Amateuramateur-1

Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KG5IVL

KG5IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

The Bitx40 radio might work for you. I am building one now for a mobile setup in my van. Will also use it for hiking. Just google bitx40 for all kinds of info. $60.

2. KG5KOG

KG5KOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Could very well work for me..
    did you see this site about it ?
    https://vk3yy.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/bitx40-v3-and-raduino/

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well SOTA requires you make your final access to the summit via non-motorized means. As far as I know there's no prohibition on riding a motorcycle or car or whatever as far as the public road goes then making the final ascent on foot. I don't know how far (if there's a restriction) that ascent has to be in order for it to count. I know some places I could ride to then hike the final 1/2 - 1 mile or so, if that would qualify.

4. KG5KOG

Yes, I realize about the hiking.
    One of the main reasons I have not gone further into getting started is having to leave my bike maybe a mile or more away from the summit.
    Some of the ones I have read about SOTA, they did hike way more than a mile.

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm thinking of Roan Mountain back home in TN though I'm not sure it's on the SOTA list - should definitely be though. Parking lot at Carver's Gap, then you can climb up a bit of the Appalachian trail to Roan High Knob I think it's called. Done it quite a few times leaving my car down below, no different for the bike really, just never took a radio.

6. KG5KOG

Chimney Rock, Nevada.
    The second picture here shows about the closest you can get in a vehicle.
    Now that would be a hike to not only get there, but also to get up. About mile from the Angle Lake.

Grays Peak is to the right and west of a small lake you can drive/ride to.
    but then you have to walk around Angle Lake and then 1 mile by crow. Rough terrain.
    Only 10 points, ought to worth 100 or more.

110 in the desert, froze that night up at Angle Creek Park.

Other pics i have showing mountains/peaks, that i am sure would be listed on SOTA, are way off the beaten track,
    but you can take a bike pretty close to them. Would not recommend a 4x4.

I thought about starting at the Big Bend National Park as there is some SOTA listing in it.

This was June 2015.
    That evening....
    [​IMG]

The Next Morning...
    [​IMG]

K7WFM likes this.
  7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I do this all of the time.

http://www.ku3x.net/p

Scroll down past the Field Day event and you'll see a few photos of a few of my stops.

Most of the time I keep my little YouKits radio along with a very short 20 meter dipole in my saddle bags. I'll take a day trip and when I get tired or want a drink, I look for a spot to pull over, set up the gear, have a drink and then move on when I had enough.
    My two favorite hobbies are ham radio and motorcycles. The closest they come together is only for transportation. I would never ride my bike and talk on any radio or cell phone at the same time. That is asking for trouble! There are enough idiots on the road that I need to give my full attention to riding the bike.

Barry, KU3X

WD4IGX likes this.
  8. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never ride my bike and talk on any radio or cell phone at the same time. That is asking for trouble! There are enough idiots on the road that I need to give my full attention to riding the bike.

Amen...enough idiots.... no doubt.

KU3X likes this.