Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7PVA

W7PVA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like the conversation isn't about operating while you ride but finding a destination and then operating. I've been riding for over 35 years, this time. I taught the MSF curriculum for 14 years, a bunch of fun. I've always had a CB on the bike for group communications. A few years ago I finally licensed and wedded my two loves, riding and radio. My bike is a GL1500SE, that's a GoldWing Special Edition. I installed my FT8900 in the top-box and used it on rides when I could. I found plug&play equipment that allowed operation through the on-board audio system. The first time using it was working the Baker to Vegas classic as a motor.
    I've since removed the 8900 and set things up to use one of my several Yaesu HTs. They take up less room and I have the option of carrying it with me to operate away from the bike. One difficulty is finding amateurs that ride as well, especially in the group I've chosen to ride with, The Blue Knights LEMC. I continue to try to educate my brethren about riding and radio.
    If you ride I highly recommend that you take a MSF Experienced Rider Course every once in a while. Riders fall into habits that can come to bite you at the most inopportune times. A class will re-enforce good habits and help you recognize bad ones. It will also remind you to wear all the gear all the time. You never know when you may need it.
    One of the reasons I went away from the FT8900 was that I would sometimes change frequency while riding. Going to the HT eliminated that possibility as it travels in the trunk. I've thought about taking gear on a ride to remote areas. The negative of that is carrying the gear needed for my ride and also for my radio. If I want to work HF I'll drive the FJ....

Bill - W7PVA

K7WFM likes this.
  2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I like to ride and just got back into it this years after not having a bike for several years. I wanted to ride for a little while again before my health puts a stop to it.
    2009 Kawasaki VulcanĀ® 500 LTD.jpg
    0225171349a.jpg
    This is my Kawasaki Vulcan 500 when I bought it a couple months ago. I have put bags on it now and a larger windshield and am working on putting my MP3 player on it. I do not use it in anyway with ham radio. For me they are 2 separate hobbies. When I ride it is just for fun and to get away and get out and enjoy the world.
    John, WB0MPB

K7WFM and WD4IGX like this.
  3. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep -- see avatar. No radio though. I concentrate thoroughly on my riding.

4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

yup :)

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in agreement with the folks who want to ride or ham, not both. But I am interested in throwing together a little QRP HF package or VHF/UHF portable and doing some mountain topping via motorcycle. Good ride up, ham some, good ride down. :)

K7WFM and WD0BCT like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Indians and motoGuzzis HF with hamsticks, not anything like my scorpions I run on my other vehicles but it allows me to get out for tickly well on 17 and 20

7. W9WB

W9WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't do any voice operations while riding. I have used an APRS setup on the back of the dirt bike when I'm in areas that have digipeaters or I-Gates. In this setup, I use an HT, connected with a Mobilinkd interface. My phone uses a bluetooth connection to the Mobilinkd to send beacons, etc. In this photo, the HT and Mobilinkd are in the little pouch to the right of the antenna.

[​IMG]

8. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a QRP rig along on a multi-week ride of the Trans-America Trail - an MTR3 for the first part and a KX2 on the second part of the ride. Camped along the way and operated QRP at night to keep the critters at bay ;-)
    https://ae5x.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_24.html

Sold the bike and recently bought a Versys 650 and plan to ride it to some POTA activations once the summer heat subsides. I will be taking a higher-powered rig though - an FT-891 and a 20AH gel cell (17 lbs total).
    [​IMG]

John AE5X

KU3X and WD4IGX like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds fun, and much like what I have in mind eventually. :)

I did just put some bigger bags on my V-Star. I should be able to put a decent QRP station in one with the other for rain gear and bike stuff.

NewBags and Backrest 2.jpg

10. KG5KOG

KG5KOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just have a 2m HT mounted on my bike.
    The HT is wire connected to a Sena hub, which is on the handle bars and the PTT button at left grip. Then the hub connectes via Bluetooth to my Sena intercom in my helmet.
    Hands free except for the PTT button, which is not problem.

Problem is that even with a decent mobile mounted, I would still out of range of repeaters in a lot areas.

I was wanting to do the Summits on the Air.
    Still might, anyone else ?

[​IMG]

Not too much of anything where I ride.
    For sure no repeaters.
    [​IMG]

Is that high enough for QRP?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017