ad: ProAudio-1

Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
  1. G0CIQ

G0CIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Further to the above...a couple of possibilities for uncomplicated mobile operation that I think could work for me are;
    1) Use local repeaters on 10m, 6m, 2m, 70 or 23cm as appropriate (we don't get 220MHz here).
    2) Use simplex on the above bands though most activity tends to be on repeaters.
    3) Use our 4 metre (70MHz) band; FM operation is simplex as the band is only 500kHz wide with FM operation mostly between 70.3 and 70.475 MHz. There's quite a bit of activity and I've had some good contacts from the car. Range is pretty good, it tends to be less affected by topography than the higher frequencies and there are effectively only a few 25kHz spaced channels used for FM voice, keeping it simple.
    4)Use DMR via the local repeater just in local mode on TG9; this removes the need for channel changing and (in the area where I live) provides a series of linked repeaters with quite a wide coverage. Could also use Fusion although it's a bit more complicated in terms of button presses.

For portable use I'd be inclined to use the bike as antenna support/ground. One thing that bothers me slightly when mobile is the level of RF exposure if running QRO, I don't think I'd want to run much more than 10W with the antenna that close.
    73, Simon G0CIQ.

2. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally got my permanent PTT done and installed!!!!

[​IMG]

N1VAU and G0CIQ like this.
  3. AG5AB

AG5AB Ham Member QRZ Page

bike.jpg
    I am currently portable on a Vstrom with an IC-706 or Xeigu g90. I bring a couple LiPo's and 50 watt foldable solar panel. I am able to work with the Xeigu at 20watts without limits or the 706 for about 5 hours continuously. I can fit a tent, air mattress, laptop, food and Ruger P-89 all in the saddlebags and a toolbox mounted on the back with a duffle bag on the back seat. Even carry a foldup stool and small table. Isn't real pretty but works for me. I did the same thing on a Volusia but couldn't go in the woods with it. My Vstrom has 50/50 tires and will go through the small creeks and interstate speeds.

G0CIQ, N1VAU and KN4EQG like this.