ad: elecraft

Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0CIQ

G0CIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Further to the above...a couple of possibilities for uncomplicated mobile operation that I think could work for me are;
    1) Use local repeaters on 10m, 6m, 2m, 70 or 23cm as appropriate (we don't get 220MHz here).
    2) Use simplex on the above bands though most activity tends to be on repeaters.
    3) Use our 4 metre (70MHz) band; FM operation is simplex as the band is only 500kHz wide with FM operation mostly between 70.3 and 70.475 MHz. There's quite a bit of activity and I've had some good contacts from the car. Range is pretty good, it tends to be less affected by topography than the higher frequencies and there are effectively only a few 25kHz spaced channels used for FM voice, keeping it simple.
    4)Use DMR via the local repeater just in local mode on TG9; this removes the need for channel changing and (in the area where I live) provides a series of linked repeaters with quite a wide coverage. Could also use Fusion although it's a bit more complicated in terms of button presses.

For portable use I'd be inclined to use the bike as antenna support/ground. One thing that bothers me slightly when mobile is the level of RF exposure if running QRO, I don't think I'd want to run much more than 10W with the antenna that close.
    73, Simon G0CIQ.

2. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got my permanent PTT done and installed!!!!

[​IMG]

K0UO, N1VAU and G0CIQ like this.
  3. AG5AB

AG5AB Ham Member QRZ Page

bike.jpg
    I am currently portable on a Vstrom with an IC-706 or Xeigu g90. I bring a couple LiPo's and 50 watt foldable solar panel. I am able to work with the Xeigu at 20watts without limits or the 706 for about 5 hours continuously. I can fit a tent, air mattress, laptop, food and Ruger P-89 all in the saddlebags and a toolbox mounted on the back with a duffle bag on the back seat. Even carry a foldup stool and small table. Isn't real pretty but works for me. I did the same thing on a Volusia but couldn't go in the woods with it. My Vstrom has 50/50 tires and will go through the small creeks and interstate speeds.

K0UO, KG4RRH, G0CIQ and 2 others like this.
  4. KG4TGP

KG4TGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Before my xyl and started the RV travel thing I had an FT817 and end fed zep with small battery I carried in my tank bag, my bike at the time was a Suzuki GSX 650F. I would go to local parks and open areas in central Florida to operate. Now have a Ninja 300 and 2022 GROM will probably start operating on these bikes again soon.
    Mike KG4TGP

K0UO and G0CIQ like this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

This time no radio at all. But we did good moto trip.

IMG_20210717_075128.jpg

K0UO, G0CIQ, N0JRK and 1 other person like this.
  6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

@US7IGN - Wow, looks like a wonderful road trip. I was never one to mix ham radio with motorcycling (or sailing) because you can't really do both at the same time and enjoy either one of them. They must be enjoyed separately.

My last motorcycle road trip was western Europe, counter clock-wise, 9 countries, 14 days. I wish I had taken as many pictures.

Your Ukraine/Romania/Bulgaria road trip looks like it was wonderful.

Most people don't understand you see more from a motorcycle.

G0CIQ and US7IGN like this.
  7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

And they also don’t smell on the way, children don’t wave at them on the streets of small villages, their wife doesn’t hug them all the way, although they have been together for more than 20 years)))

AA5ET, W5UAA and G0CIQ like this.
  8. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

I ride motorcycles, but don't operate while riding. Ride a Ducati Supersport, BMW R1200RT, and a DRZ400S. I use the DRZ for the Backcountry Discovery Routes, and thinking of installing APRS tracking on it.

K0UO and G0CIQ like this.