Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill we've talked on HF a few times, very nice-looking stable of bikes and I think we talked about riding last time we were on HF a few months ago.

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to be a biker. Had to quit it though. Got hit between the eyes once too many times by 3 pound june bugs. I was late getting to work, but turned around and bought a helmet with a face shield. Later a fairing with windshield. Still hate june bugs.
    No, never put a radio on it...

3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. N1TBB

N1TBB Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you use for the PTT, and what did you choose for the helmet speaker and mic system? I'm looking to do the same, but for my snowmobile.

5. KC9OO

KC9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

PTT switch was just something in the junk box. Nothing special. I made a bracket to mount it under the left grip. For the FTM-10R a standard CB headset sold to fit in motorcycle helmets worked, though it had a matching network in the cord which I took out. If you have the same radio, you have to make up a simple interface for the headset. If you don’t have the schematic email me at jonlbak@sbcglobal.net and I send it to you. For other radios I don’t know.

K0UO likes this.
  6. KA4YQI

KA4YQI Ham Member QRZ Page

I carry my ft 530 with me on the motorcycles but dont use it while I am riding. I have a 2012 goldwing trike, a kawasaki Nomad 1600 , and a 1999 honda valkrie interstate. I do listen to the 11 meters on them using a a midland 75-822 ht.

K0UO likes this.
  7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember back in the 90s one of ham magazines did a story on a ham that worked CW from his Goldwing. He setup a toggle switch as his key. Toured lower 48 and Alaska this way.

G0CIQ likes this.
  8. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to ride, until I slid around a blind corner due to an unannounced, unmarked chip-and-seal operation. I just can't get on a motorcycle any more.

9. N0JRK

N0JRK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got hit by a june bug between the eyes while in college almost 50 years ago. I've worn a full face helmet since then. Ridden Alaska and Panama and everything in between since then, too.

10. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that was KA7W (SK) He was also a big proponent of using a car tire on the rear of a GW.