Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My rides are limited to local back country roads to get lunch locally. I probably do less than 1,000 miles a year now. My wife no longer likes to ride as she is older than I and not interested is 'zipping'. No more full speed runs to Montreal to woo women! I still will enter a multi day dual sport and enduro rides and place well, as I ride slow and steady. Passing all the kids that started flat out and either crash or are exhausted after the first 150 miles off road. I'll start in last place waiting for the dust to settle (#200 out of 200) and end in the top 25. More than good enough for me!

K1IGS likes this.
  2. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

275 lb dirt bike and 160 lb rider -- but I get the idea!

3. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

All the zippy crotch rocket riders were told when they wanted to race, "You pick the start and I'll pick the finish". If they said the next light, I'd pick some town 500 miles away...

KB2SUJ likes this.
  4. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Connie just like that.

K3SZ likes this.
  5. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

2000 Concours. Was a great bike. Upgraded to a Honda ST1300 and rode that for seven years. Now downsized to a Honda NC700X.

6. K3WR

K3WR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ride most every Saturday throughout the year with the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) chapter FL2H out of Wauchula, FL on my GL-1800A. I have a Kenwood TH-D72 mounted on the handlebars that I use for APRS while riding, (K3WR-7). The XYL has peace of mind following my riding exploits from our QTH with the APRS pings in real time.

Our chapter uses CB radios to communicate, as we often have 2 or more groups of 8 motorcycles per group riding together. Working the HT with a full-face helmet and riding close within a group can be a challenge, so I stick to the CB.

When out riding by myself, I have an earpiece mic that I use on the HT through local repeaters. However, the Goldwing quickly gobbles up miles and the range of the HT is limited despite an extended whip antenna.

I am contemplating installation of a trunk mounted dual band antenna and a small amplifier in the trunk to increase radio range, but that may have to wait for a summer project.

For all you motorcycle riders out there, ride safe.

7. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

We need an HF ham radio motorcycle net

KF7WSF likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My Goldwing was the most refined motorcycle I have ever owned! Sadly physical problems have made riding a motorcycle out of the question. I miss it, but with my sciatica what it is just standing up by myself can be a problem let alone holding up a bike. And I never know when I may get an attack. During my last days of riding I could feel the nerve twitch but luckily never had an attack on the bike. I thought I should retire before I did!

9. KF7WSF

KF7WSF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great thread, I hope to see more activity on it. Personally, I've yet to choose a radio to ride with. Some recommendations and tips would be amazingly appreciated. I usually ride my KLR650 around town and short road trips, but I also do dirt and off-road exploring too, so sometimes I've really ended up 'out there.' I think my K1000P will be more feasible just being a cruiser.

OK, I'll be honest, mostly I wanted to post my bike pics :D Advise and recommendations are wanted, too.

Attached Files:

10. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the paint job on the Kawi!

KF7WSF likes this.