ad: w5yi

Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KI6UJH

KI6UJH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ride a R1200GS, and I am planning to bring my ic-7100 portable. I haven't yet, but have been operating portable, and the next step is to take it along on a ride. I will probably wait until the Spring after the Sierra passes reopen.

2. KJ4PUK

KJ4PUK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I ride but never thought of adding a radio to the bike. I could I have a Harley Ele Glide Ultra Classic I could hide one in the baggage and mount a remote head on the handle bars. Ill have to think about it.

3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

here i'm riding my minibike with my favorite millennial. no radios. i don't think he could handle the banter. PRE_CMP-20181006161642-2434.jpg

K1IGS and K4EI like this.
  4. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice pic, Ash! What track is that? And what is that you're riding?

5. KK4YWN

Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw SC. Bike is a '13 Yamaha FZ07. Credit to Raul it highside photo. Really great guy- one of the best.

K4EI likes this.
  6. K4EI

I've run most the tracks in the east, but never Carolina Motorsports. Barber is the other one I'd like to try.

Your pal Raul did good. Alas, back when I was doing track days there wasn't much in the way of decent photography. Here's a pretty crappy pic my wife took of me coming through Oak Tree on the South Course at VIR. I'm the gangly fellow on the Suzuki SV650 in the rear.

[​IMG]

7. KK4YWN

CMP is a tire shredder- lots of grip. Has a decent rhythm but I like VIR north best (of the tracks i've ridden). I'm riding with a group called PRE in 2019- the whole season :D I just turned 48 so I'm cramming in as much track time as I can.

Your wife got a great pic considering the distance/limitations. The trackday photogs have really good track access.

8. K4EI

Mid-Ohio is probably my favorite track. With Road Atlanta a close second (especially the old course, with Gravity Cavity, before they changed it). Watkins Glen is a nice, technical track, too... except that it's deadly for bikes because it's lined with Armco (the one weekend I ran it - in the rain - we had two guys medi-vac'd out).

VIR North is a fine course. Except for the one time I went balling the jack down the hill towards Hog Pen, only to find a ground hog sitting up square in the middle of the track. Pucker moment!

9. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

An industry friend of mine nearby keeps trying to get me to do a track day on my bike. Sure sounds like a lot of fun - never really learned the "correct" way to ride around a track.

10. K4EI

Riding a track at speed is probably the most euphoric thing I've ever felt, Matt. It will take you to a special place, where few venture.

But beware that it's powerfully addictive. I've long described it as a legal drug. It can quickly become very, very expensive (starting with tires... lots of tires).

That all said, by all means give it a go. For a newcomer to closed courses I'd recommend a track school rather than a conventional "track day," (noting that many track day organizations provide some level of instruction to beginning track riders... but the quality of that instruction varies widely).

http://www.jeffreyhughes.net/motorcycling/sport_rider_articles/the_most_honest_place_i_know.html