ad: chuckmartin

Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD4IGX, May 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anybody ride and either operate mobile from the bike or ride TO a portable operation location?

I ride a 2007 Yamaha V-Star cruiser. I'm not too interested in operating motorcycle mobile though with bluetooh connectivity these days it wouldn't be too hard. But I generally ride to get AWAY from talking to people and just meditate in my head. ;) But I AM thinking about something like packing a little QRP HF station or some VHF/UHF gear and going mountaintopping by motorcycle. I'm thinking more along the lines of SSB/CW than FM.

Anybody here do this or anything similar?

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a motorcyclist for many years. Never included radio as I generally always rode with a group and none of them were into radio. I've always felt much safer riding with a group and rarely rode alone. I knew too many cyclists come to a bad end riding alone. One hit a deer at night. He was lucky to survive but he suffered a severe head injury and was never the same. Others died in accidents and I always wondered if it may have been avoided if they had been in a group. Now if you could organize a bunch of MC hams that could be fun.

And yes operating portable away from civilization can be lots of fun. I'm all for that regardless of how you get there.

K7WFM likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

I ride alone a fair amount. I do ride with friends some. I use the app EatSleepRide with my iPhone. It's just a fun and free thing but it has a plugin called Crashlight that's $15/year and uses the sensors in your phone to detect if it thinks you crashed. If it thinks you have, it starts a three minutes countdown screen. If you don't cancel in three minutes (because you actually just dropped your phone or something) it will text your GPS position to three numbers you specify.

Far from perfect but seems like a cool idea that could save a life.

But life is full of risks. It's up to us to take ones we consider worth what we get for them. I also fly - frequently alone. ;)

4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I ride mostly alone and mostly off-road to some very remote areas. Rarely bring a radio with me. Bring Find Me Spot though.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?attachments/qrz-cascades-jpg.198975/
    KLR650 dual sport with not too much room to carry extra stuff. I have a set of aluminum panniers
    for the bike but took them off. Way too heavy and cumbersome in tight spots.

DSCN9307.JPG
    We also own a Honda GL1800A. When we're doing long touring trips I find we're only stopping for an short overnight and then moving on. We usually moto-camp. No time or desire to set up a decent ham station.

DSCN9076.JPG

We're typically making 350mi days though and very tired after a long one.

DSCN6664.JPG

WD4IGX and WD0BCT like this.
  5. WD4IGX

Yeah, that's cool and a great looking getaway but not much space.

I have a couple of large-ish saddle bags on order as the ones on the bike now are tiny. I don't plan to turn it into a full up touring bike. 650cc isn't really adequate for that anyway. But I do plan to put enough storage space on it, those bags and maybe a trunk, maybe a pack that can be put on the pillion seat once I put that back on - that I can do a weekend trip. I figure if I'm not carrying the stuff for a hotel weekend I can easily put in enough for QRP HF or mountaintop VHF/UHF and enjoy scenic rides up and back too.

K7WFM likes this.
  6. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a sissy bar there is always the Bagger luggage bag.

I had one on my V-Star Classic and it worked very well. Especially if the XYL
    was along for the ride.
    Picture 047.jpg
    If you ride alone you can strap a dry bag to the pillion seat too.
    I've seen hams use their scooter battery to power their HF transceivers. I wouldn't do that personally.

WD0BCT likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My last couple of bikes were a Honda Godlwing GL1800 and a Kawasaki Nomad 1600. The Honda was the ultimate touring machine which was my wife's favorite for riding 2 up but I really liked the Kawasaki Cruiser. Shoulder, hip and knee problems from playing too much competitive tennis Tennis shortened my riding career. In fact it shortened a lot of physical hobbies I had. Luckily, with vitamin I (Ibuprofen) and Glucosamine I'm still hiking and swimming. I like to hike into the mountains for portable radio operations.

K7WFM likes this.
  8. WD4IGX

I ride alone now, and I don't have a sissy bar, or even a pillion seat. It had been removed by a previous owner of my V-Star 650. I do plan to get one, probably when I upgrade to a better after market seat anyway, but not until I've more experience riding. I won't take a passenger for now anyway. This is my first bike, having done the BRC course in December and bought the bike in February.

I am making up for lost time though in riding a lot! I wouldn't try to run a 100W HF rig of the bike battery. The capacity is too limited. But I would run a 10W or so rig off it. Upgrading the headlight to LED will help with the load too.

K7WFM likes this.
  9. KG5IVL

KG5IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

This sound like a great app. But, I could not find it in the
    App Store. Can you share a link?

10. WD4IGX