ad: KF7PMW-1

Any Old Car Buffs

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K8TUS, Feb 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. K8TUS

K8TUS Ham Member QRZ Page

My neighbor had a brand new TR3 when I was a kid. I think it was a 1960. I loved that little red car. Closest I came was a 1970 MGB.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My first car is a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S, 4-speed fastback. I needed help with doing a tuneup (changing the points). My first pass down the 1/4 mile dragstrip was a heart-pounding, knee-knocking, white-knuckled tire-spinning 19-second pass. A lot has changed... a low 11 second wheel-standing pass is no longer frightening:
    [​IMG]
    (click for bigly image)
    It's real tough to watch the tach until I'm down track. When I leave the starting line, I count to one. If I get to one and haven't yet pulled the lever for 2nd, I'm late. ;)

My other car is a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S convertible. I bought it from the original owner, and found it had nearly been destroyed. It had been rebuilt with wrong parts. I replaced those and refreshed/upgraded other parts. A friend did a NICE job of tying the front/rear subframes together, to make it stiffer:
    [​IMG]
    (click for bigly image)
    While it's no slalom car, it's nice on the road. Aficionados will note the missing "340" in the stripe on the fender. That was part of the wrong repair. It truly is a 340 car (one of 83 ragtops that year). I didn't care for the standard plain wheels and wheel covers, and swapped to '70-up styled "Rallye" wheels (widened in the rear). :)

K2HAT and W7EDC like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm old, and I'm a car buff. Does that count?

K2HAT likes this.
  4. K8TUS

Yes. We need to have a net so we can talk about our cars, or health and told "old days".

5. K8TUS

6. K8TUS

There has to be a lot of guys who want to shoot the breeze about cars and fast women

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. K8TUS

8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

My car is also not that old, but again, classic old school lines:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Owned it 19 years, do all my own repairs and maintenance.

I love how it looks . . . love how it drives. Although the styling is borrowed from American Muscle Cars, the handling is vastly superior! It also has a small (by US standards) but powerful engine - around 250 bhp. Top speed is around 150 mph.

They're pretty rare over here now, and I get a LOT of compliments from everyone who sees it (not just older guys . . . young kids too!)

Full webpage here: http://www.wessexprod.talktalk.net/supra/

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    K8TUS likes this.
  9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger: What's the building in the back center? Looks neat.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's his ham shack

K8TUS likes this.