Any Mobile HF Toyota Tacoma Owners here?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by W5KV, Dec 6, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AL7AQ

AL7AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are the pictures of our 2006 Toyota Tacoma 389m.jpg cb1.jpg Pickup Truck

W5KV likes this.
  2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that a toolbox would actually hold the antenna. I know of large screwdrivers that have been mounted just to the rear of the box and secured with non-conductive braces and by using a conventional ball mount. That tool box my friend, K3EDK, had had a double lid instead of the single one and opened at each side. He braced the antenna at the top of the toolbox in the center between the two side lids.

The problem with this that I see is, your antenna is base loaded. If you move it up close to the cab, it might cause a problem. The solution there would be to center the coil on a lower mast...oh-- 2 or 3 feet long. This gets the coil up over the cab and out of the near field. If needed, you can shorten the whip to re-tune things. My opinion is, center-loading works better anyhow. I would also think that you could "tack" weld some sheet steet inside the tool box where the ball mount would be installed (centered). If your truck bed is non-metal, the challenge is to get a ground(s) down to the frame without creating a "ground loop" (evidenced by squeals, howls, hot surfaces and mikes that "bite", and, of course, tell-tall SWR that just won't come down. Just don't forget and drive into the garage with it on the truck.:D:oops: (I actually had a small sign on my dash for awhile) "CAUTION! TALL ANTENNA ON BOARD!!!:D:p

Gud Luck!

W5KV likes this.
  3. VK5TBC

VK5TBC Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_20180712_140337_252.jpg Mutiband screwdriver antenna 3.6 - 28Mhz. My RV has no metal roof. I taped copper tape and bonded to aluminium topside rails and then to central bonding point including base of Screwdriver antenna to topside then ran a 10mm earthing wire to Chassis.
    VSWR was less than 2:1 on all bands but only after I installed my VK5TBC 1.8M super whip with Capacitive hat at base of whip. This acts on low bands as capacitor hat and higher HF bands helps resonating Screwdriver antenna. Technical reasoning....Similar to 1/2 fan dipole but physically 1/2 size (I named it 'VK5TBC 1.8M super whip'. Length of longest capacitor aluminium is approx' 400mm, shorter element around 250mm and longer 400mm may be cut to resonate at 3.501Mhz. Screwdriver has a lift actuator to lay antenna flat on roof whilst driving but still can be resonated OK. Signal reports are up there with hams running 400W pep but usually an S point below as I run 50- 100 pep.
    Have fun
    Brian VK5TBC

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018