Any Mobile HF Toyota Tacoma Owners here?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by W5KV, Dec 6, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,

I recently finished up my mobile HF install.... but long story short.... I want to try a different mounting option than what I have pictured below. It's currently mounted on the right rear quarter panel on the trac, using an REP Design mount (amazing quality btw).

There's just too much shake & vibration here. I want to center mount it. Either on a toolbox, or on some other kind of mount that can be crafted to install in the bed? Yes, the bed is composite, I have a hog panel I was going to place (trimmed) inside the bed with a rubber bedliner mat covering it, everything bonded of course. I know Breedlove makes a custom bed mount for the Scorpion antenna (for a metal bed), but it appears as if something like that, that would have to be torqued down in the bed, would potentially crack the composite if tightened. Anyone have any experience with a more stable, center mounted HF antenna on a Tacoma? I could just go the tool box route, but the aluminum kobalt one I have on there now just won't do, there's just too much flex in the aluminum. Steel toolbox perhaps & attach the mount to it & bond the toolbox? Heck this would allow me to reach through the rear window & slide the tap up and down. Thoughts are appreciated :)

[​IMG]

Here were my readings where it currently sits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

I should also mention that a Scorpion is in my future, that is why I am looking for a bed mount more specifically than a toolbox mount option.....

3. W5WAY

W5WAY Ham Member QRZ Page

What about a headache rack?
    EDIT: Oops you posted as I was replying. Maybe not a headache rack then.

4. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

I could do a headache rack, would probably work for the wolf river coil, not so much the scorpion I'd imagine. I was just 'thinking' along the lines that getting the base of the antenna closer to the frame was more optimal... that is definitely an option though...

K0LG likes this.
  5. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an update, received some info from a member here on these cross bar mounts that are made out of steel in New York by KBVooDoo.

This looks like a viable option, granted will require bonding, but I can bond it to both sides of the bed now & underneath.

I'll have to drill a 3/4" hole to fit the 3/8 x 24 antenna mount, as the current slot in the center only fits a 1/4".

I'll post pics & an update once I'm able to get everything mounted.

[​IMG]

MTPOCKETS likes this.
  6. VE3NLP

VE3NLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a 2016 Tacoma. First thing on it was a back rack. My HF setup is a SGC 303 Antenna( a nine foot Marine antenna), SGC heavy duty mount( like they use on military vehicles) and an SGC 230 tuner( still waiting on the 237 to replace the 230).

Just don't exceed 13 feet 6 inches or you trim the top off the antenna.

W5KV likes this.
  7. K7FYI

K7FYI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got an '06 Tacoma and started out with a mount on the bed rail track much like your current one, except I was using an ATAS-120 and ham sticks at the time. I moved up to a Tarheel 100A-HP, and using their mount, it fits perfectly on the vertical sheet metal pillar just ahead of the tailgate. There is easy access behind it by taking out the tail light (bonding, etc). I thought I had some pictures, but am not finding them at the moment.

W0MUD and W5TTP like this.
  8. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Fyi...that is where I mounted my atas. For coax access from the frame, a grometted hole drilled through that metal pillar will do nicely.

I did make a custom mount due to the Leer shell conflict.

Chucknw5ttp

9. AL7AQ

AL7AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using a Kenwood TS-480HX in OUR 2006 Toyota Tacoma... I have a SUPER Trucker CB Antenna on Ant1 and on the drivers side, and a 398M on Ant2 on the Passenger side... Our Truck has a NEW Canopy, So I mounted each antenna, using Ball Mounts & Springs, half way between the Access Door rear, and the Gas Cap, and made the two semetrical.... Works Great... Nice to be able to listen. to the Truckers, ahead of us, for Road conditions, and still chat on one of the open HF Ham bands... My pictures are to big for this Forum... unfortunatly...

10. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, just sweep the rice up! LOL