Any MMSSTV users here? Long time "viewer" but only starting to transmit

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7UUU, Sep 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi any MMSSTV users....

For many years, I've liked to park the rig on 14.230 and view all the fun and interesting screens sent.

But I've recently gotten my FTDX101MP up and running on FT8 and just tonight added MMSSTV. I'm decoding just fine, and transmitting fine as well so far as I can tell (other than having to manually trigger MOX on the rig - otherwise I have to change settings - no big deal, as SSTV is such a SLOW mode so no need to change what's working - I don't want to make it so I'm constantly changing settings in the rig to switch from FT8).

Curious how folks using MMSSTV work a QSO? Do you have a template for each step of the exchange? Or do you use the "fill-in fields" to augment each step with signal report etc.?

It still seems to be a rather frequently-seen mode - I decoded more than a dozen QSOs in just a couple hours of fiddling this afternoon... including a couple DX stations in South America with very well-decoded images.

Thoughts?

Dave
    W7UUU

[NOT talking about nor interested in "EasyPAL" which is nothing more than sending internet links to open high-res internet link photos - I'm ONLY talking about ANALOG SSTV as used on 14.230 where the image is true Slow Scan, sent over the air , not EasyPAL on 14.232]

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used the software for a very long time. I have a few self-made CQ templates that I use and the supplied templates, like the template that has their copied image for the signal report exchange and the 73 template. I really don't use anything more than that. IFFF I get one of those chaps who wants to have an image/text QSO, I will just use a CQ template and change/add text as needed and then send it.

3. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya, I've been watching the pictures come and go on 14.230 a lot lately. K6DP really likes pictures of trains. Wait until the transequatorial propagation picks up on 21.340 this winter and see some of the interesting pictures out of central and south America.

Since I abandoned Windows almost a year ago, my only choice right now is QSSTV on Linux. And it's still kinda buggy. I have rig control and audio working well through a USB cable to my IC-7410, but it still crashes unexpectedly occasionally.

I know most people use MMSSTV and the "fill-in fields" make it easy to exchange RSV's.

QSSTV doesn't have the "fill-in fields" and was wondering how people exchange RSV's. Even though SSTV is a slow process, I don't think I have enough time to GIMP new custom images with RSVs fast enough. And I'm also wondering how people exchange the bare minimum information using QSSTV to call it a QSO.

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 12 templates; couple for holidays, a couple that just have my callsign, one with rsv and a small RX pix, A couple for rsv and 73, and a couple CQ templates

speaking of easypal, didnt it startout without internet links. The received pictures were fantastic, sending links was the reason I got rid of it, not much process of using radios to send pixs.

5. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You have got my interest Dave...
    I downloaded and installed MMSSTV and I am receiving images, but I don't quiet understand how it all works. Is a QSO accomplished by sending pictures only? I see the CQ images calling for a QSO but I am clueless as to how to actually perform a SSTV Qso. I understand using the templates, but is the entire QSO based only on the templates? Any links that explain the whole process would be much appreciated! Looks like this could be fun! Thanks in advance!
    Bud - KI5OMM

6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as I can tell, yes, exchange pictures and that's it but, most times I have heard, after both pictures have been exchanged, the ops talk to one another about the images and then send more images.

Its not like FT8 or PSK where you can't have a voice qso because of the frequency whereas in MMSSTV, you are on the phone portion of the band.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes - the actual SSTV QSO is defined and counts and is considered "official" by sending and receiving pictures as the QSO. But as K2WH points out, sometimes a short discussion takes place afterward. But I would only do that if I knew there weren't others wanting to use the frequency.

Been watching the process and decoding images for many years but only now tiptoeing into transmitting

Dave
    W7UUU

8. NA1S

NA1S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to SSTV. Hope you have some fun with it. I have used MMSSTV for quite awhile now and I like it. The template feature is nice. I have a template for each exchange. I am a slow typer.

I have both stateside contacts and a few DX as well. Most of my contacts have been on 20M but actually have one on 40M. Rarely hear any SSTV on 40, was just lucky to run across a station calling CQ.
    Hope to hear some SSTV on 15 and 10M as the propagation gets better.

Nice mode when not in the mood to do SSB or CW. Also, have EZ Pal but have not done much with it.

Hear is a web site I found useful and informative : http://www.wb9kmw.com/WB9KMW/live_SSTV.html

GL, have fun and hope to hear you on SSTV some time. 73

9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the one I used frequently and used to upload my images to when I went through a SSTV only phase for a while.

https://www.worldsstv.com/

W7UUU and VE3CGA like this.
  10. NA1S

NA1S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. Looks like a useful site. Have to check in more often.

KK9W likes this.