Any Mechanical Engineers willing to a solve a math problem?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA7F, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Snow load is on existing roof structure, not on the beam(s) he intends to add?

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just reread your 1st post , I was under the impression that with you mentioning steel I-beam , I had in mind a steel pole barn , also thinking wood pole barn - why a steel beam in a wood pole barn .
    After rereading I think what your up to is adding the beam to hang stuff from ?
    So if your just adding the beam for elevating loads , this should help ,
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w-steel-beam-uniform-load-d_1722.html

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oops, never mind, I missed that the beam is independent of the roof load.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not only about the physical dimensions, but you will also need to know the I beam manufacturers ANSI / ATSM certifications and specifications to perform any such load calculations.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Really, I think you should hire a civil/structural PE to give you a consultation for a couple hundred bucks, if even that. You might be pleasantly surprised and find that hanging your items from the rafters is acceptable, which would save you the cost and hassle of the I-beams.

If not, then he or she can tell you the right way to do it. It might even be simpler to make a separate truss out of wood that would work, rather than the I-beam. I've hired PEs several times for things around here, and in a couple of those all I needed was a consultation to find out the right way to do something, no stamped plans needed, so it was pretty inexpensive. (Of course, if it is a building permit item, then you need to pay extra to get the stamped plans.)

6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct. I went back and re-read the OP.

7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

It wouldbe safe to assume his I beam meets -at a minimum- A36 specifications.

Thats a yield strength of 36,000 psi and a allowable bending stress of 22,000 psi

Rege

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

...Is it?

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

If the keyboard engineer's suggestion proves faulty and the structure collapses, you can seek legal representation in any resultant litigation from a barroom lawyer.

KA0HCP, N0TZU and WR2E like this.
  10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a red flag! Newton-meters are units of energy or torque, depending on context. Weight is in units of force, which is measured in Newtons in SI units. This may be converted to mass, if needed, by dividing by gravitational acceleration.

If you have Newton-meters and you need weight, you've got to divide by the distance. What distance? Without context of how you got those Newton-meters, I can only speculate.

N0TZU likes this.