ad: portazero-1

Any help for inverted vee configuration

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by IW5DWU, Nov 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. IW5DWU

IW5DWU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ho guys, my first post .....i turn on My radio After 10 years, i have small garden maybe 25x25 feet Just a tree for inverded vee.....i try efhw, g5rv jr, zs6bkw. What you suggest me for my Little pistol station ? Long wire 16.2mt better ? Random wire ladderline and tuner ?
    Only inv vee configuration Sorry.
    I love zs6bkw but i must folded half size no good
    Any idea ?
    73s
    Massimo iw5dwu

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

You are limiting yourself with what you are asking for by saying, Only inverted vee.

With the limited space you are dealing with, I would install a 43 foot non resonant vertical, with plenty of random length ground radials and a remote
    tuner at the base of the antenna. On 20 meters this is a 5/8 wave vertical and great for DX.

If you still limit yourself to an inverted vee configuration, I would make a combination of fan dipoles, each resonant on the bands you want to operate
    on. Needless to say for 40 and 80 meters they would have to be shortened dipoles. This can be done with loading coils.

Barry, KU3X

AK5B likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The suggestion to build a vertical in your garden is good but if you really want an inverted-V you basically can do a few things:

- Build an inverted-V Doublet as you suggest and use a good wide range tuner in your shack to tune it on different bands. Running the balanced feed line and having to tune it after each band change is the only tricky part but you can work bands from where the end to end antenna length is approximately 3/8 wavelength and up. So in an inverted-V with a tall mast you might be able to work 30m and up or with a mid sized mast perhaps 20m and higher frequency bands.

- Build a single band inverted-V for one band like 20m which may be the simplest way to get on the air.

- Build a fan dipole inverted-V for two or more bands, perhaps 20m and 15m or maybe 20m, 15m and 10m.

- Build a trapped inverted-V for a couple or a few bands.

In the end most of these will perform similarly on the bands you build it for as the on the air performance is largely determined by how high the center and ends of the antenna are and the apex angle of the inverted-V though the trapped version will have a narrower 2:1 SWR bandwidth on the lowest frequency band due to the traps and the shortening of the antenna.

Another antenna you might consider for your small garden is a Cobweb to cover 20m - 10m in a very small antenna. It's basically set of parallel fed dipoles (aka a fan dipole) with the elements folded into a square configuration. It's a very good way to get on multiple HF ham bands. Great instructions on how to build one here: http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/cobweb/

A Cobweb can also be purchased commercially if you don't want to build from scratch.

4. IW5DWU

Hi guys, thanks all
    At the present time i have g5rv jr 10-40m and i have Just free space for 51 feet inv vee...no horizontal for neighborhood.
    Top of my tree Is about 26 feet, no bad but no perfect, Just good for 16 feet ladderline.
    Other solution efhw inv vee 10-40 loaded or 10-80 loaded and folded ?
    Mumble mumble......

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used an Inverted-L fed with an autotuner at the base. One of the better compromises when space is limited. It sort of works with just a ground rod, and works better if you can add radials.
    No special length needed, the autotuner allows you to make it as high and long as will fit in your yard.

It is likely that this will work as well as anything someone can design for your property in terms of how well you get out.
    But, a custom design could allow operation on two, perhaps more bands without a tuner. Though not get out any better.

Zak W1VT

AK5B likes this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

A 43' vertical with remote tuner and many radials like KU3X suggests or an inverted-L with the same as W1VT suggests are both excellent ideas. Think big and go for the gold...

One advantage of the inverted L over the 43' monopole is slightly better performance on bands above 20m as the radiation pattern won't be so high-angle. But if 20m is your favorite band for dx...

Ciao and 73,

Jeff

KU3X likes this.
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A trap vertical like a HyGain or Hustler would be easy to hide next to a tree, a few radials for each band pushed into the turf completes the antenna. :D

AK5B likes this.
  8. IW5DWU

thanks all
    i want to try wire solution for the moment......in the future i don't know

i read on the net g5rv jr it is not good solution,
    maybe better it could be a windom antenna but only the short 10-40 ...... or try a random wire like Levy or even a Doublet

Nobody tried G7FEK ?

9. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

One version of the inverted L is a ten-meter vertical with ten-meter horizontal that can be fed at the bottom with a 49:1 transformer. I have just experimented with one supported by a 12-meter Spiderpole. Six turns of wire around the pole about 2 meters from the bottom forms a 1.5 microhenry inductor that enables a match on 10,15, 20 and 40 meters. A short vertical counterpoise from the feed to a ground rod is all you need at the bottom - no need for radials!

Mike
    AF7ON

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The G7FEK isn't widely known in the USA.