Any CW guys using the FT-450d

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by 2E0LPL, Jul 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, guys, I am after some advice from any CW users operating the FT-450d.

I have a quite new 450d...I have noticed if I plug in a morse key and key on any power setting from 5w and up...my ALC goes off the scale...at lease 4 bars over the max end scale.

My buddies 450d does not do this when he uses his key...although it does go to the max limit on the ALC scale.

I have tried it into a dummy load and its just the same.

I have not spoken to Yaesu yet as I want to find out what happens to other users.

Just to concerned to use CW at the moment...don't want to blow the PA....front right-hand side of the radio gets quite warm after say a 5min QSO on voice.

P.S. I get the same thing if I key up on FM even at 5w....4 bars over max on the ALC.

Voice SSB ALC is around 75% to 80% on the scale.

Any ideas guys.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why monitor ALC on CW or FM?

I don't have a 450D, but lots of rigs do what you describe.

K5VZD likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Pay NO attention to the ALC reading when not using fone i.e. when doing CW.
    My 450 does the exact same as yours.
    Disregard it, ALC is for when using the mic only!
    From what you say you may be overdriving the ALC with the mic gain or compressor during SSB and FM (?)
    The cooling fan will come on and go off when doing CW and keep the rig cool as it will on fone modes.
    Power and SWR indicators Only are what you want to observe when doing CW.
    Don't be worried to do CW full power, you are OK... The RF will fold back to save the PA in case of hi SWR/Bad antenna.

K5VZD likes this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Mine, too.

K5VZD likes this.
  5. K8RXB

K8RXB Subscriber QRZ Page

At the risk of TMI, I would add that the FT-450D in my opinion is an excellent CW radio. I keep the contour set to the widest option and the DSP arrow on width so that the filter can be changed quickly. The IF shift is another great tool for the CW op when used in tandem with the filtering mentioned in the previous sentence. I have not used the notch options at all. As a 100% CW op at home, I really like this radio despite the mild QSK relay clicks and the key jack placement. To be honest, my old Vibroplex Original makes more noise that the relay. My FT-450D has been used as a part of our local club's Field Day campaign for the past two years. You made a good choice.

K5VZD and N7BKV like this.
  6. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently added a 450D to my shack to work other than the 40 meters my QCX is limited to. I like it too, and concur with you operating comments. I like it's compactness. All the controls are within a hand width. Easy to operate everything. Good filters. Good sound. Also it tunes my 40 meter dipole on 12 M and 10 M real nice. On other bands it needs the Comet CHA250B Vert. But works fine with it. I installed a switch to select the antenna.

7. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad your liking your 450s.

The main thing I need to know is what does your ALC meter read when you key up in CW...mine is going 25% over scale...worried about using it like that...can't find any concrete info.

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

BEEN USING MINE 5 PLUS YEARS CW ONLY AT FULL POWER.
    NO ILL EFFECTS. DISREGARD THE ALC. IT IS OF NO CONSEQUENCE ON CW.

9. K8RXB

K8RXB Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto to what N8AFT said above. Mine reads full scale and a bit above also, but ALC is of no consequence on CW. You have a fine radio. Try your radio on SSB, and you should see some variance in the ALC readings. The purpose of my original post was to compliment your choice of the FT-450D.

10. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Same here. No smoke, no problem, right?
    No difference if 10 watts or 100 watts. I think it is just how it works.
    On CW there is no mic gain, or lack there of, to compensate for. Maybe that is what is going on.
    Dunno. I just keep having fun.