ad: ARR

Any CFO Members Here?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7ASZ, Mar 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never achieved CFO speed ever in my 41 years as a ham but do own and use 2 TO keyers.
    Picked up two more on Ebay a few years back and gave them to two oldtimer ham friends.

K1LKP likes this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

He didn't, probably because he figured everyone knows what CFO is, but he was last active when knowing CW was required for a ham ticket in the U.S. and some at least, stuck with it and got introduced to the CW culture of the day.

K1LKP likes this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI BOB,

CONGRATS ON YOUR FB QRZ PAGE.
    ALSO, GREAT GOING ON YOUR
    MANY YEARS OF HAM RADIO..BRAVO..

THAT'S AN OUTSTANDING RESORATION
    OF THE HT-20
    K5UJ.jpg

THREE CHEERS FOR CLASSIC GEAR.

YES YES,,, REAL RADIO'S GLOW

73- K1LKP

W7UUU likes this.
  4. K1LKP

RADIO ROW 1962.jpg

arrow electronics.jpg

73 - K1LKP

5. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Many years ago I was in a meeting called and managed by a crusty old USN admiral.

A younger individual spoke up in multiple impressive acronyms and initials regarding our discussion that few of us understood. The Admiral slammed his fist at the head of the table and shouted "use plain **expletive** plain language!"

K3XR likes this.
  6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much & 73

7. KG7A

KG7A Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I've occasionally heard of that term Chicken Fat Operators, but not very much. Are they almost like CWops? Speaking of Chickens, I've got to get back to my Chicken Soup Recipe...

8. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not a member. Can you tell me how to get to 50 wpm? That's about the level isn't it??

9. K1LKP

HI JIM,

THANK YOU FOR EXCHANGING
    EMAILS WITH ME REGARDING
    MEMBERSHIP IN THE CFO.

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOU BECOMING
    ONE OF OUR MEMBERS.

73 - K1LKP

10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That means a lot to me. There are some things though that must be earned. I'm OK at normal mechanical key speeds. Learned to use both hands in the process, but I remember the 'Grand Ole Days'.
    I remember whenever you heard a really fast group working QSK on CW, it usually, not always, but usually, ended in the 'rooster call'. I've known and worked guys on the slower CW traffic nets, who then showed up on the old RN5, CAN CW (and others) and after passing some traffic at a faster clip than I could write, did the 'rooster'.
    I always have been and always will be, in awe of that kind of skill. For those gentlemen who have that ability and can now (could now) stay up with the founder of CFO, I say, strut your stuff. Nothing wrong with putting out that call. They should be very proud of that.
    But I'm not there and out of respect for that group, after hearing what Mr. Ricks could do and the others who could stay right there with him, I now know I need lots of work to qualify.
    That was why I asked the question, How does one get to 50 wpm?
    Some things must be earned.

K1LKP likes this.