ad: k1jek

Any 6 meter sporadic E?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by NM7G, Jul 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I see 6M US-DX spots today. While I'm not on 6, I've considered getting on for the Es season.

Two questions: Is anyone working DX on six using SSB, RTTY, or CW? Are any QSOs via Es or tropo?

I see tons of FT8, but I don't care about FT8, FT4, or PSK31.

2. VE7KNL

VE7KNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a couple California stations on 6m last week. 50.125ssb.

3. MM0LQF

MM0LQF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its been really good here in the UK, for the last few months, at least for FT8

Ive got 250+ digital contacts since May, on 6m, all across Europe, from up here in Scotland.

2/3 of those are >1000 KM, and half of them over 1500 km.

And thats with less than 10w and a crappy antenna.

If i was operating FT8 (or indeed CW) with a bit more power and a bit better antenna, I imagine it might be possible to work the east coast US.

So yeah I think its worth a go.

4. KI7SYG

KI7SYG Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past three weeks I've worked Vancouver island, wy, ne, ca, nv, and az on 6ssb. Unless canada counts, no dx.

5. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

"I see tons of FT8, but I don't care about FT8, FT4, or PSK31."

Too bad because those digital weak signal modes are where the propagation supports the contacts. I've been hearing European FT8 stations almost every day from here in Virginia.

K5VZD likes this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any Phone spots on DX summit. It is getting late to put something up--the season could be over by the time you put something up.

It has been a very good season for me, twenty six new ones, up to 62. Yesterday I worked both Japan and Svalbard for new ones!

My 6M antenna was designed for portable use 25 years ago. 4 elements on a 20 ft mast designed for easy transportation in a compact sedan.

7. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, one of the great features of FT8 on 6M is PSKreporter. I can leave my receiver running all day while I'm doing other things around the house. The WSJT-x software automatically reports any signal it has copied on any frequency in the FT8 band to PSKreporter over the Internet. I can check PSKreporter from time to time and see a world map plot of all the stations I have copied during the past 3 hours (or up to 24 hours). It's much more convenient for catching an opening than SSB or CW where you have to be present, listening to background noise, and hoping that someone comes up on the one frequency that you are listening to. It can also be disappointing - like when I came back in from mowing the grass and found that I had copied several Chinese stations that were now long gone.

8. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm active on 6 meter SSB from EM60. Band has been open to somewhere at least part of the day for several days now. Yesterday, I worked a mobile station in CN87. Get on and call, I've worked many stations with low power, wire antennas, dipoles in the attic, etc.

K5VZD likes this.
  9. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's not "too bad".

My ham radio satisfaction comes from this operator improving his skills, while seeking contacts with others doing likewise. Being an observer, while my computer connects with someone else's computer, with DSP chips helping on both ends, has zero attraction for me. None! The challenge of digging for a contact I can confirm, with QSB and QRM working against us, and my S-meter never budging off S-0 is what I like. The challenge is what drew me to ham radio initially.

Fifty years ago I used 10 Hz IF filters (10 Hz was narrow then), long signal integration times, and optimized $150k antenna arrays. Those non-amateur comms were no more satisfying than what I now do with a 40-year old transceiver, a good pair of ears, the best antenna I can afford, VOACAP, beacon sigs, and patience. So, the pity for me is unnecessary.

KD6RMS, WA3GWK and AD5HR like this.
  10. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Plenty of phone and cw on 6m. One just has to be willing to do the research and find the openings!