Any 2 meter ssb fans out there?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KI7SYG, Feb 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy to report a little bit of success tonight. Made contacts in NW Tn and Ms tonight. Heard a station in Al but no response. Very short opening but that is the norm. Glad to be back on the challenge of 2 meter SSB

G0CIQ, WA3GWK and KW9W like this.
  2. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

No SSB, only CW. Here're my 2m and 6m home brew squalos. 6m tubing is from a lawn chair and 2m is 1/2" copper pipe.

on roof from below sm.JPG

K3RW, W2EV and K6CLS like this.
  3. N4TS

N4TS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

who do you work on 2m cw these days? Finding a 2m CW contact is more rare than finding sasquatch :)

4. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a CW signal on 144.100+/- a few days ago as I was surfing the lower end, But it disappeared after one call. I didn't have a key hooked up. Would need a LOT practice.

5. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hey Steve, probably a good idea to mention not just "height above ground", but height above average terrain.

6. KG6BRG

KG6BRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a 118 mile contact (per QRZ) with my 818nd and a horizontal dipole, the other station had a multi element antenna and a good pre amp. A fun night with a few local contacts too.

7. N4TS

N4TS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nice! very good contact, get yourself a yagi and you'll do really good even with the 818! I've made 350 mile contacts with 5w.

KG6BRG likes this.
  8. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So much can depend on the propagation and being there when it happens. A friend of mine here in EM60 on the gulf coast of AL worked a station on SSB in EM89 (~670 miles) the other morning with 100 watts and a dipole.

9. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest trying to organize some nets in your area. That will get generate more activity.

SWOT seems like a good idea, but they only appear to be active in a few regions of North America.

10. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a 2 meter SSB net here in the Mobile, AL area Monday evenings at 8 PM Central, 144.225.