Any 2 meter ssb fans out there?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KI7SYG, Feb 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KN4ZKT

KN4ZKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent you a PM, not sure if you saw it. I haven't played too much yet with 70cm SSB, but my experience is the exact opposite in terms of activity. I know the Florida Weak Signal Society has a 70cm net, and there is a 70cm net on the East Coast on Wednesday Nights, but you'll get a lot further with 100 watts on 2m.

2. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you need a cheap rotator for one or two light antennas, the Channel Master is pretty good. I've had one for my 9 element M2 2 meter yagi and my 4 element 6 meter yagi on the same mast for 5 or 6 years and it's still working. I only put it up temporarily to get something to turn my two antennas until I could buy a better Yaseu rotator but it worked so well that I left it up and haven't even used the Yaesu G-800DX that I bought 6 months later. It slips a bit now and I have to re-sync it up from time to time but no problem moving the antennas around. I think I paid about $90 for it. I think the two antennas combined weight about 10 or 12 pounds and the mast is a few more pounds.

We have a number of 70cm people around my area but most of the contacts is scheduled or arranged on one of the web sites and then the people try to connect on the chosen freq.

One way to test the pattern of your antenna that worked for me is to watch PSKReporter when there are stations show all around. Send out some CQ's and see what monitors light up. When they light up you can hover over them and find out what your signal strength was. Send out about 6 or so CQ's then turn your antenna 90 degrees and try i t again. By plotting which monitors light up and the signal strength you can get a pretty good approximation of your signal shape. If you have monitors light up to the sides and behind you at the same time, then you do not have a lot of front to rear separation and a narrow forward bandwidth. My 6 meter yagi is a short boom antenna and doesn't have that much front to rear separation or send the signal forward. I have a 5 element M2 6 meter yagi on a 18' boom and it has a very narrow forward bandwidth pattern and very good front to rear. I made a mistake buying it because I didn't realize just how much room I'd need to swing a 18' boom antenna. LOL! It is a good antenna though although I have it only up at about 20' with no rotator on it pointing SE.

Mike

3. KC5ULU

KC5ULU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using quad antennas on 2 ssb with great results. I built mine out of PVC water pipe , fiberglass plant steaks and stranded #14 house wiring. My antenna is 15' above the ground And more in a hole not on any bill my range is average 180 miles the same setup at the beach at Galveston Texas was able to talk at 10 watts early morning with no weather enhasments to San Antonio and beyond to 280 miles at 15' above sea level. So diy works great and weak signal ssb 2 meters is fun. I have a standard 4 element,a expanded 4 element,and a 5, ,and 6 element that I use. I also made my first power decided from 1/" aluminum tubing from local home center that showed no power loss for putting 2 of my diy quads together so hopefully soon will be able to make out the hams I hear 300 miles away and maybe talk to them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  4. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

2M (and 70 cm) were open this morning from FL to TX. Hopefully good tropo conditions will continue over the next few days.

Tor N4OGW

N4FZ likes this.
  5. KN4ZKT

I heard that too! The forecast does look good for the next few days.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice tropo opening along the north gulf coast last night and this morning. Hope it continues tonight and tomorrow morning!

7. KN4ZKT

pretty good opening this morning!

Attached Files:

WA3GWK likes this.
  8. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At one time the two larger local clubs would have a friendly competition to see which club could make the most contacts during VHF contests.
    Quite a few guys would fire up on FM simplex, and there were more active VHF/UHF groups that would activate higher mountain top locations.
    Lately all I hear in contests are stations on six meters making skeds for 2 meters and above! Very few stations calling CQ on 2 meters or higher.
    It is kind of depressing. A local ham has called me two times in the past few contests to see if I was hearing anything--he thought his antennas
    were having problems.

BTW, WIK I remember working you on two meter AM back in the early sixties when you were in 2 land.

9. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I notice on 2m SSB and Simplex FM, people will pop on, give out their call, get no immediate reply and are gone. I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't sit at my radio waiting for that call out of the blue so I can pounce on it. I'm usually sitting at my other desk across the room from my radio desk.

A lot of times I have my mic disconnected from both of my radios because I run a lot of digital and I get feed back through the microphone if they are connected. So when I hear someone I need to go across the room and sometimes screw on the mic connector to be able to respond. I can do this in about 3 calls, but usually not on one call when the caller calls and then twirls the dial with no immediate reply.

I don't know why people don't call out a couple of times, wait a bit and call a few more times before they give up. There might be more responses if they did. When I check out to see if anyone is listing on 144.200 or 146.520 or 50.125, I'll call several times, pause and call some more before I give up.

Just a thought for those younger instant gratification hams. ;)

Mike

10. AC9SF

AC9SF Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to do 2 meter and 70 cm SSB. My J pole isn't working very well, of course. I want to put another antenna in my attic. Is there such a thing as an omnidirectional horizpntally polarized 2m/70cm antenna available? I wont have room for a big yagi and rotor.