Any 2 meter ssb fans out there?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KI7SYG, Feb 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm hoping to try and get this up this weekend!

2. KN4ZKT

KN4ZKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome, looks like you're super close to the beacons too. We have one up here for the Southeastern VHF society on 144.287, located on Sawnee Mountain. Unfortunately right now its running on a vertical antenna, but it's better than nothing. I can hear it 60 miles away fairly strong on my horizontal beam.

3. KN4ZKT

any luck getting the antennas setup?

4. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Example what you can do with 144 MHz SSB - even with low power.

Height is good but if you're low you can do OK if there are few high obstructions nearby.

5. KN4DQE

0302201657c.jpg

Got it up yesterday. Made my first ssb contact last night. He was about 30 miles away. I can't wait to see what distance I can get out of it!

6. KN4ZKT

That's awesome looks great, congrats!

7. KN4DQE

Just an update. I talked to a few folks - all within 30 miles of my QTH. So far nothing further. I've also discovered in these discussions that 70cm SSB has more activity than 2m. With that being said - I am seriously considering installing a dual band yagi in place of the PAR's. Since I am limited in my space - I was looking at the Elk 2M/440L5, however it doesn't list the gain or max power rating. I would also need to get a light duty rotator. I am not sure if it could be mounted to the existing J-pole - I can't find weight ratings for any of them.

8. VU2NAN

VU2NAN Ham Member QRZ Page

9. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

Now is a good time to get horizontal 2M antennas ready - often there are some good tropo openings in the southeast in the spring.

Tor N4OGW (EM53)

K0UO and WA3GWK like this.
  10. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this guy that might have one or two of those