ad: Radclub22-1

Any 2 meter ssb fans out there?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KI7SYG, Feb 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good going!

2m SSB "used to be" very, very popular in the mid-70s through the mid-90s. You'd think it should be even more popular today, as so many new rigs on the market include 2m SSB standard -- but it's not.

I suspect part of that was dropping the code requirement so many Techs became Generals pretty easily and jumped on HF, and part may be the proliferation of antenna restrictions that make it difficult for people to install antennas that work well enough to make 2m SSB "fun."

I've been on 2m since 1966 (at first, only AM and CW, added SSB in about 1970) and back then "everybody" put up a good horizontally polarized 2m beam on a rotator. I mean, most already had this because they were already on AM, so to add SSB they just had to add equipment but they already had the antennas.

Today...not so much.

K0UO likes this.
  2. N4TS

N4TS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

awesome! That's a pretty good haul. Hopefully during the next band opening I can work you :)

I already worked 350 miles into north florida during a brief opening, can't wait for spring tropo season.

So far under dead band conditions, I've worked out to 300 miles, but that was also with stations that had bigger antennas/more power than me.

3. N4TS

Yeah it is a shame. I think also with all the FM repeaters around, folks don't see the need for simplex. I do though, repeaters are easily taken out. I saw one taken out on accident for 3 days, because someones radio went rogue and was constantly transmitting on the repeater input!

I find weak signal work more exciting than HF, and I've already worked down into southern Chile on 40 meters and I got my license late last year. It takes a lot more skill to work VHF weak signal, but it's also much more useful for local communications IMO.

4. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

0226202035.jpg

Just put this together tonight. Need to get it on the roof - but unfortunately the top omni-angle can't be visible from the front of the house due to the HOA, meaning I'll probably lose a little signal in the direction of the roof.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HOAs are the bane of ham radio.

Old saying: "Rules are substitute for thought," and whatever moment it was that someone decided nutty regulations would preserve property values (hahahahahaha) that was a bad moment.:p

But get it up and try it out!:)

WA3GWK likes this.
  6. N4TS

very nice! Please do a write up on your experiences with those, I'd love to hear more about them. Thinking about getting some myself in addition to my beam.

I have a clear shot straight to Florida, so i'm fairly confident during the next band opening we could work each other. The last band opening that happened a few weeks ago, I could hear a station in Cape Canaveral, but not strong enough cause I couldn't turn my beam! fail on my part.

7. KN4DQE

I hope so - the omni-angle antennas don't have any gain by themselves, but supposedly a 3 dB gain if you stack them.

8. N4TS

Well if the next band opening(s) are like any of the others i've heard I'm sure we can. I heard a station running a vertical with 50 watts down by Savannah during the last one, if that says anything.

How much power and what radio do you have?

Edit: Also, FYI there is a bunch of folks on 144.210 in Florida in the mornings, around 6-7am or so.

9. KN4DQE

I have the Icom 9700 - so I think 100 watts on SSB?

10. N4TS

Nice, yeah that'll do 100 watts on 2m.

Once I get my rotator up, I'll be on the lookout for that opening by listening for the Florida Weak Signal Society 2m beacon in Orlando :)