Any 2 meter ssb fans out there?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KI7SYG, Feb 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7SYG

KI7SYG Ham Member QRZ Page

I homebrewed a 6el yagi for 2meter ssb and put it up on a tent pole mast, only 16 feet high. I was able to contact a neighbor 13 miles away even when reducing power on my ic7100 down to 1 watt or so. (readable, but weak) There are a few others in eastern Washington that are putting up their 11el yagis when the weather improves.
    I bought a nmo connection for my rig and some lmr400 cable as well as an nmo bulkhead connector for my antenna to try and maximize my signal. I don't have any means to get higher than about 25 feet, basically using a field type setup when I'm home, and taking it down when I have to leave for work.
    Mostly looking to see if anyone else in eastern Washington/ north idaho/ northern Oregon is using 2m ssb.

KK4CUL likes this.
  2. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There use to be a while bunch in Western WA and OR that got on 2m SSB on Sunday mornings to see how well they could communicate. I use to participate for awhile but being in the middle I couldn't get my antenna turned fast enough to hear everyone... and I was afraid I'd wear the rotator out real fast as it is a cheap Channel Master. If they still transmit on Sunday mornings you might be able to hear them.

I have a M2 9 element yagi at about 28 feet that works pretty good when anyone is around. Mostly I use it to monitor for meteors using MSK144 but there aren't a lot of other 2m stations within the range of meteor scatter so I don't hear a lot on it. When the rocks aren't falling I'll switch over to FT8 and monitor that to see if anyone sends out a CQ. Not many in this area on 2m either. If nothing else, I'll change it to the simplex calling freq at 146.520 and listen to those that chat on their during the day.

I have a M2 7 element antenna that I only had up for a short while. I got the idea that to save my rotator that I'd have a second antenna pointing in the opposite direction and just use an antenna switch to go between the two directions. It worked but I couldn't get it up as high as the other M2 antenna so it didn't work as well and I took it down.

Mike

N4FZ, KI7SYG, KK4CUL and 1 other person like this.
  3. VE7KNL

VE7KNL Ham Member QRZ Page

KI7SYG likes this.
  4. KI7YFP

KI7YFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I managed one 2m ssb contact during the last VHF contest. Oh, that was my first, and so far, only 2m ssb contact. I heard a couple more, but the vertical jpole that I am using is killing me :) I still try to listen in on the call frequency. Maybe when the weather is nicer I will build a better antenna and play around with it more than.

Good Luck!

N4FZ and KI7SYG like this.
  5. KI7SYG

KI7SYG Ham Member QRZ Page

VE7KNL, thanks for that link, looks like there are a lot more ssb guys here than I thought.
    KI7YFP, thanks for the good luck wish.

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

There were some guys I used to listen to near Lake Erie when I was in Ohio. I didn't have a Yagi...
    Try listening around 144.1997

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Advice to anyone who lives anywhere regarding 2m SSB:

Beam. The bigger the better, but it must be a beam. And horizontally polarized.

Height above ground: Unless you happen to live atop a prominent mountaintop, height above ground matters a whole, whole lot.

Small beam at 30 feet: Work your neighbors and hope they're on 2m SSB.

Big beam at 60 feet: Make daily contacts to 300-350 miles.

N4FZ, AF7XT and K0UO like this.
  8. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya know Steve, you and I go way back to when SSB was king and was amazing fun.

It is sad that anyone today would have to ask that question "Any 2 meter SSB fans out there".

Sadly, newbies now and in the last 30 years were only told about repeaters and FM operation, encouraged to use them.

I had a fellow ham ask me once about SSB on 2 meters and I told him to call me on 144.200.

He said how do I do that.

I was astonished since he had a rig with SSB capability, I replied just hit the button that says SSB.

He then asked if it was legal !

Sad, very sad.

N4FZ, AF7XT and K0UO like this.
  9. WB2WIK

I would have answered, "Shhhhh...CIA has ears everywhere, be very careful" and left it at that.

N4FZ and AF7XT like this.
  10. WB2WIK

You and I go back farther than that...we worked on AM with TX-62s and stuff.

And I started out on 2m with a Twoer.:p

K2WH and WA3GWK like this.