ad: elecraft

Antivirus Programs

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NK2U, Jan 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

Just recently, Avast and AVG were caught selling users online clicks to third parties.

I am wondering what you're using for Antivirus (paid or free.)

de NK2U

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Bitdefender and MalwareBytes on all my devices (Mac, PC, and iPad.) I also use AdGuard and NordVPN to help prevent other nasties from getting in as well.

It seems to go back and forth between Norton and Bitdefender as to which one is the more effective product, but then again no one product can catch everything.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had very good results with Trend Micro.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know, for certain? Lots of malware is very stealthy.

5. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Norton, MalwareBytes, Nord VPN

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't use any anti-virus program at all. All of my networked computers are linux machines and reside behind very strong firewalls, with short online times. While it is theoretically possible that a virus find it's way into my system, it's not nearly as likely as it would be in a Windows machine.

My only Windows machine is a Win7 computer is air-gapped and thus not really vulnerable.

Besides.... I'm not sure that the various anti-virus vendors are not themselves responsible for some of the data theft we've seen over the last few years. The more I learn about the subject, the less I trust the multinational corporations.

7. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These days, the commercial products such as Norton are not as effective as they once were. I use the built in Win 10 firewall and Windows Defender. I have no issues. Two other things outside my my Win 10 machine that I do also help.

1) A NAT router between my systems and the Internet. This make all my machines not visible from the Internet side, so they don't get probed. I have not ports open to bring traffic into any of my machines.

2) The best anti-virus is the space between your ears. For example, if a website prompts you to install some software don't accept it unless you specifically went to that website to get that piece of software. Never click on links that come via email. Always open a browser tab and go to that website directly rather than use emailed links. Simple practices can keep a lot of problems away.

KG4CNA and K9FV like this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI QRZ FRIENDS,

I USE THE NORTON SYSTEM BECAUSE IT IS BUNDLED IN WITH OUR COMCAST SYSTEM.

norton 360.jpg
    yea weekend.gif

W1TRY likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NAT router and Malwarebytes on Macs.

10. K6QGK

K6QGK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WEBROOT - Pound for pound probably the best overall Anti-Virus program on the market to date. There are lots of programs out there but for general home use or home business operations this is the product to look into. On line a single use licence for a year from the company cost $49.00 but here's the Secret! Go to Walmart and pick up a 3 license pack for only $19.99 !!! Cant beat that deal all day long!! Take a look and check it out. For the tech guys out there it has a smaller foot print running on your PC, lots smaller that Norton, McAfee, Panda, SOPHOS and AGV.

Take a look and all the Best - de K6QGK

W1TRY likes this.