ad: MLSons-1

Anti-Viral Net Approaches 1 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9NYO, Feb 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? Why would post this?

2. KE8QEP

I fail to understand why people who have not bothered to listen to the net seem so quick to publicly display disdain for it.

3. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the normal life we had and here we are with anxiety and fear. I would like to convince people that we can move back to the life that we had. I am not interested in belittling or attacking those who are reluctant. The fear and anxiety are real, but I think we can move beyond it.

N9EAW, NL7W and KE8QEP like this.
  4. KE8QEP

I see your point and don't for the most part disagree. I haven't listened to the net in question, but there is a similar net near my location. Mostly it's just a net, no politics that I have heard, and at this point its just people chatting about "stuff". I don't think it's is so much people living in fear, but trying to be cautious and comfortable and talking about what is going on.

AA9JS likes this.
  5. KA9I

KA9I Ham Member QRZ Page

As the newest Net Control Operator for this net, I would like to do my best to clear up a few possible misconceptions of this net.

This club and more specifically, the A/V Net was so welcoming to me, and IS very welcoming to all amateur radio operators, it is so refreshing to get on the air with people who love this hobby and are so willing to share their years of trials and tribulations in this hobby. It's a very active repeater and the main topic at any given point is usually radio related.

The men and women in this club are great people and I feel so fortunate to have gotten back into the hobby to find them. I now run the Saturday night Net and I always try to keep the topic radio related, with an always open question of, "How was your day?" Our Wednesday net is Trivia Night with K9GLM, Greg. He always runs a great and entertaining net drawing his questions directly and shamelessly from the General Question Pool.

K9BAR as a club, has a policy of keeping adverse language and polarizing topics of all types off it's repeaters. We strive to keep our repeaters a "G" rating and as friendly and welcoming as possible. It has been working and it's what drew me into the club and has helped me progress in the hobby. I am grateful to the K9BAR members for their openness and kindness.

We see new amateurs checking in and enjoying the net as a place to "get away from it all" and just exhale at the end of the day.

We are on Echo Link and you are ALL invited to come and relax and tell us about your day!

KD9HJR
    Joe

Maybe it should have been called the "Anti-Virus" Net? ;)

K9NYO, AA9JS and KE8QEP like this.
  6. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps it's the poor choice of a net title? You had to know that was going to be "click-bait" from the start.

KA2FIR, NJ6J and NL7W like this.
  7. KE8QEP

I'm not affiliated with the net, although I wish I was, but I don't think Anti-Viral Net Approaches 1 Year Anniversary is "click-bait".

AA9JS and K2NCC like this.
  8. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a net similar this in Dallas every weekday at noon. It's one of the most popular nets in the DFW area. Not that much said about the virus on these nets. It's great to hear people talking on local repeaters during the weekdays.

KA9I and AA9JS like this.
  9. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

About half of us wouldn't. But the other half can't get past "Anti-Viral".

The thread being on fire pages before I walked in should demonstrate that.

KA2FIR likes this.
  10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes we can. Fear is the mind-killer. It's time to move beyond it.

Talk about radios. Talks about kids or grand kids. Talk about upcoming travel, or where you've been. Talk about anything but the charade before us.

I hope that's the case with this periodic get-together.

NJ6J and KA9I like this.
  11. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, we recently moved to Dallas and I have discovered W5ST repeater. Is the net you speak of there or on another frequency?

12. KA9I

KA9I Ham Member QRZ Page

It 100% is.

NL7W and AA9JS like this.
  13. K9GLM

K9GLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm credited for naming our net "Anti-Viral" during a group discussion seeking suggestions. At that moment in time I was experiencing the stress of uncertainty, the unknown, and the uncontrollable. I wondered how many more were experiencing similar emotions, or worse. At that moment I suggested the name of our net I perceived an enormous need for calm, unity, and hope. The idea of the net resonated with me; it suggested daily opportunities for anyone to share with anyone else their inspirations or concerns, a chance to connect in ways we hadn't before, a time and space where we could celebrate the one delicate and perishable common denominator we all share: Life.

W9KM, W9CY, KD9PKQ and 4 others like this.
  14. K9NYO

K9NYO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I posted this originally, I have watched with great interest to see the range of comments expressed. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that this would generate an iota of controversy, however I guess that is just a comment on the times in which we are living--almost anything causes polar controversy and sometimes heated discussion. I guess the point here is that this is a net where we try to keep that at bay and talk about ham radio, the days in which we are living, how work is going, etc. We talk about what we all generally talk about on ham radio everywhere--but in a semi-structured net format. I don't know anyone's particular politics, and that makes it good--there's no random fighting. An Icom 7300 and a ham's opinion about it is neither Republican or Democrat....a QSL card is neither pro-mask or anti-mask....when we say we leave politics out of it, it is so we can just be friends and concentrate on what binds us together rather than get into discussions about what drives us apart. In this time of pandemic, I think we could use a lot more togetherness and camaraderie instead of polarizing divisiveness. So if you want to climb aboard our net every night and just see for yourself, then you're welcome to join us. If you want spirited debate, there's a couple of spots on 40m and 75m where you can find that on demand. 73 all around DE K9NYO

W9KM, KD9PKQ, KA9I and 1 other person like this.
  15. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

146.88 W5FC Dallas Amateur Radio Club

WJ4U likes this.